Receiving a hatchling at work

FlyinJohnnyL

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
First of all, this forum is AWESOME. I can't believe how much I've read and learned about tortoises over the last couple of months.

So we are getting a sulcata hatchling for Christmas, shipped from Arizona Tortoise Compound. I have already built a nice 4 x 8 closed tort table that we will be keeping on our porch. I would have never been able to do this properly without all of the great information on this forum, so thank you to everyone.

I have a small problem, though. I have to have the hatchling sent to me at work due to my work schedule. Everyone at the office is fine with this. But I'm wondering what kind of temporary housing I need to have to get the tortoise through the few hours we will be stuck in the office, and for the hour long car ride home (I work FAR from my house, obviously.) Once I'm home, I'll be able to stick it in the table and I'll start feeling much better.

Thanks for any advice any of you can provide. I'm trying to prepare for worst case scenario: Say Fedex delivers at 9 in the morning, and I'm not getting off until 4:30-5:00, something like that. That would put me home around 6:00 and mean that I'd need to house the hatchling for about 9 hours.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Take a temp small enclosure with you to work. Amedium size storage bin or large Tupperware container. Soak him when you get him, then if you could plug in a heat pad and attach to the side of the container or even hamg a light over the container for heat he should be fine. You could take food too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Johnny, and welcome to the Forum!

If it's cold where you live, you might buy some Hot Hands for the trip home. But at work you can do like what Jodie advised.