Brand new Sulcata hatchling and owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisbarrett27

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I'm new here to the tortoise owner family. I must say my wife and I just bought a Sulcata hatchling named Luca and we are so excited about him (or her). He is the cutest most adorable pet we've ever had. Yes we know they won't stay that cute forever, lol. We have him in a 10 gallon aquarium right now and yes I know that's a big "no no". I'm going to build him a tortoise table out of an old book shelf. I have two quick questions. The pet store we got him from sold us a red heat bulb. Upon doing some research it seems the colored bulbs aren't the best. What type of bulb do you guys recommend? I also read that the ideal temperature is between 75 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this during his awake hours or also when he's sleeping? I need to get a thermometer for him. What is the best/cheapest place you guys have found to buy tortoise supplies? I'm sure there have been 9 million threads on the same questions I just asked but I just got home from work and I'm a little tired. My wife and I just want what's best for our new family member. Any help would be appreciated. We are really stoked to be part of the family. Thanks!

Chris

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    817.6 KB · Views: 100

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Chris!

Your 10 gallon tank is quite ok for the time being (of course, bigger is always better). Actually, the new way of thinking is that more moisture for baby sulcatas is a good thing, and an open-top table is hard to keep humid and moist.

Please read all the "important threads" at the top of the Sulcata section, and learn what's NEW in caring for sulcata babies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Chrisbarrett27 said:
The pet store we got him from sold us a red heat bulb. Upon doing some research it seems the colored bulbs aren't the best. What type of bulb do you guys recommend?

A lot of folks don't like the colored (red/black) bulbs for night time heat because the spectrum sometimes makes the substrate look like food to a tortoise. I've never had that problem. I use black lights for overhead heat in my tortoise sheds

Chrisbarrett27 said:
I also read that the ideal temperature is between 75 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this during his awake hours or also when he's sleeping? I need to get a thermometer for him.

You want the temp directly under the day light about 100F degrees, gradually decreasing to about 75F on the far end. It can drop a little for night time, but I wouldn't let it get much below 75F overall.

Chrisbarrett27 said:
What is the best/cheapest place you guys have found to buy tortoise supplies?

If you buy tortoise supplies at pet stores, you pay top dollar. If you can find what you need at Home Depot, Lowe's, or any building supply place, its quite a bit cheaper.

For a day time bulb I like the Mercury Vapor Bulb and I buy mine on Amazon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please read Toms threads at the bottom of my post for raising a smooth, healthy sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Glass tanks are fine to start them in, but a 10 gallon is too small.

Lots of threads in my signature for you to read.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
depending on how long you plan to keep the little guy in there, you should seriously consider changing his substrate. rabbit pellets are very bad for them, it could cause a respiratory infection. i did my best to rehab a Leopard tortoise who was housed in rabbit pellets and he had horrible breathing issues, he didnt end up making it for reasons unbeknownst to me. anyways, congrats on the new addition, and keep in mind that this guy will GROW. in about 10 years, if the husbandry is right, he will be around 100 pounds.

Chrisbarrett27

5 Year Member
Is that rabbit bedding?! The bag had a picture of a tortoise on it. Looks like it's compressed something......it seems that a 50/50 split of Eco earth and organic top soil is the way to go. I should have done more research before buying all that crap at the pet store.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
hey man, it happens, and Tom is a perfect example of that. any combination of cypress mulch, coco coir, and top soil will do just fine.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
1.0.0 Blue Nose Pit/American Bulldog

Chrisbarrett27

5 Year Member
I got all of that alfalfa crap out of Lucas aquarium and did a 75ish% mixture of organic soil 20% play sand and about 5% moss. It's called phagnme or something like that. I'll take a picture so you guys can see. Now the only thing I worry about is him ingesting the substrate while he eats. He has a little flat dish and likes to climb up onto it while dragging substrate with him. Any advice?? Thanks guys!

Gotta re do the substrate without the sand.....I totally misread that.

I'm going to try and find some coco coir locally without breaking the bank.

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
Im going thru the same thing but I just found a lot of things out. Haha see here it goes !! Make sure at night his temps stay at 80 no lower. It can go to like 75but u dont want it that low because in the 80s and above is when they can digest there food. Im using rabhit pellets because thats what the reptile store has theres on. Im using cat litter PINE pellets seems a bit bizzare it being cat litter haha but its good for now. Better then rabbit pellets. But sooo many people on here will argue with rabbit pellets because it doesnt have humidity its just dry. Its better to get some dirt or some peat moss and coco husk. But I got top soil nd coco coir nd my tortoises hated it !! Like it was beyond awful they kept getting it in there eyes and it was just really bad there water was dirty within 10 mins u had to rechange it . People say u can put rocks around the water to help not track dirt in but trust me it doesnt always work. Im going to try moss and mulch. But I actually am leaning moretowards Zoo Meds clay mix. Its awesome !! Go look it up on youtube nd on here. For light goes. The color isnt bad but u can use a power sun mercury bulb and dont have to worry about uvb nd heat. Its a 2 in one nd its awesome. But some places sell it bery expensive. I found at petco things r cheaper then reptile stores and petsmart. Yes !! Get a thermometer a lot of people will say get a temp gun but thats if u want its extra money not worth it to me. But I have the zoo med yellow probe thermometer and petco near me has it for 8-10 bucks. It should be 90-100 in the heat side and on the cooler side should be low 80s. Make sure they have a hide to go to sleep. Nd but there water in the heat side warmer water the better. Any other questions feel free to ask :) hope this helps

please and thank you

Go to a hydroponic store !! They will have it for a good price

please and thank you

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i like your determination, keep at it, things get easier after all this.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Status
Not open for further replies.