Received my tort today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amarillo Texas
:tort::D I got my tort today, I have named him Django.

He is a Eastern Hermanns.

He is in his temporary enclosure. ( any advice is welcome)

The lamp right now is a 50 watt flood light as i do not want to overheat him.

more pics to come.... i did not want to bother him after his travels but you can see his butt in the picture.:p

tortoise.JPG
setup.JPG

later, Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Amarillo Texas
AustinASU said:
Do you have a UVB bulb on him...cuz floodlights put out UVA

uva is not bad is it? I have a 100 watt powersun uvb i purchased but i believe it will put out to much heat. He is in the garage, and it is right around 80-85 degrees in there. The flood light has gotten his basking rock up to around 95 degrees. I plan on getting him outside under supervision at least a few times a week until it starts to cool off to get his natural sunlight.

outside the high is supposed to be around 95 degrees today it got to 100 or above yesterday. I'm just worried about overheating him.

Ryan

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Congrats on the new tort. I hope to have my first tort, an eastern Hermanns, soon as well.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
What a cute little butt :)

The powerson UVB is the bulb you will want to use, if your little guy won't be outside much, and you can always adjust the heat he gets from it by moving it further away from the enclosure. My indoor enclosure has a 100 watt bulb on it, not UVB since Carl spends most of the day time outside anyways, but it's probably 2 1/2 to 3 feet away from the tort, and his basking spot is around 100, his warm side is around 83, and his cool side around 75. However the room temperature where it's at is also a lot cooler than your's. Are you planning on moving him indoors or out? I saw that you said his current home is temporary?

Either way, you will not regret getting a Hermann's, I had my heart set on a leopard tortoise, but hearing all about the temperament of these guys changed my mind in no time and I never looked back :)

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Amarillo Texas
futureleopardtortoise said:
What a cute little butt :)

The powerson UVB is the bulb you will want to use, if your little guy won't be outside much, and you can always adjust the heat he gets from it by moving it further away from the enclosure. My indoor enclosure has a 100 watt bulb on it, not UVB since Carl spends most of the day time outside anyways, but it's probably 2 1/2 to 3 feet away from the tort, and his basking spot is around 100, his warm side is around 83, and his cool side around 75. However the room temperature where it's at is also a lot cooler than your's. Are you planning on moving him indoors or out? I saw that you said his current home is temporary?

Either way, you will not regret getting a Hermann's, I had my heart set on a leopard tortoise, but hearing all about the temperament of these guys changed my mind in no time and I never looked back :)

Yeah as soon as the temps start to fall this fall, i will switch to the uvb.

He'll get outside for natural sun.

His enclosure is temporary, but it is sitting on a partially finished tort table. So his enclosure is temporary but his location is not. Does that make sense? He is located in the garage where there is good airflow, there are just to many predators around and he is too small to leave him outside alone.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.