I acquired another tort today!

Location (City and/or State)
Gulf Coast of Florida
I was so upset about the loss of my baby and looked on craigslist...someone was selling their tort (he is either a Hermanns or a Marginated - I will post pics for you guys later to help ID, I don't want to handle him now) and I immediately took the bait. He is active and minimal pyramiding (but there is some). The conditions weren't humid at all, but I figure I can start keeping him right from day one with me. He has been here about an hour and is having a blast in his new, big home. He had a 20 minute warm soak first, then ate, and has been roaming and basking. It's making me so happy! I have no idea how old he is. The previous owner had got him from someone else as well.

So, not the best way to acquire a tort, but I definitely decided against trying another from my breeder. My husband is confident he can get a refund...it's a conversation I definitely don't want to witness :-D

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to your pictures. I'm so sorry about the aggravation with the other breeder, and so sad your baby died.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Excellent that you got straight back on the horse.
Looks like a hermanni to me, but could you post a picture of the plastron when you can ?
(know you don't want to upset him too much at this time. )
Congrats, he's rather pretty (bumps can add character, too.) :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Remember, when thinking 'humidity' we are mainly talking about the sulcatas and leopards. The Testudos need a bit of humidity, but not nearly at the same rate as the aforementioned species. We have a very good care sheet here in the hermanni section.

Gulf Coast of Florida
Excellent that you got straight back on the horse.
Looks like a hermanni to me, but could you post a picture of the plastron when you can ?
(know you don't want to upset him too much at this time. )
Congrats, he's rather pretty (bumps can add character, too.) :)

I think he's gorgeous! Even with the bumps. I sure hope he's harmanni and not marginated, as I understand they get a little larger than I was wanting :-0

In a couple hours I will post those better pictures.

I know strawberries aren't good, but I counted today as his "birthday" and gave him one that he gobbled up. Pretty sure he never had one. He can have another next year ;)

Maria Ohlson

Sweden
I think he's gorgeous! Even with the bumps. I sure hope he's harmanni and not marginated, as I understand they get a little larger than I was wanting :-0

In a couple hours I will post those better pictures.

I know strawberries aren't good, but I counted today as his "birthday" and gave him one that he gobbled up. Pretty sure he never had one. He can have another next year ;)
Its a Testudo hermanni and not a Marginata :)