Really, really stupid question.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Is it possible for a tortoise to jump? I’m really bored and have nothing to do, so I figured I’d ask to waste time, lol.

Trying to imagine a tortoise jumping is weird...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Whoops, accidentally put this in the wrong sub-forum. Meant to put it in general tortoise discussion.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Babies can. It's so darned cute when new babies "jump" at you to scare you from picking them up.
Any idea if that would apply to box turtles?

What about hatchling mud turtles? I'm still trying to figure out how Bold (three-striped mud turtle hatchling) managed to go AWOL a while back. Fortunately that was only for a few hours, but I've been curious.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Does it count if you find the darling hanging by a toenail? ( from the lid which is rabbit hardware cloth)??? They do have their own way of jumping.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I would think not. They have stubby legs and a heavy-weighed body so probably unable to lift their own weight off the ground. But that's just my opinion.
I think they are just kinda lazy until they wanna do something. They can walk, run, etc...throw a little horsie fit and walk up walls. Especially if their backs against the wall.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Any idea if that would apply to box turtles?

What about hatchling mud turtles? I'm still trying to figure out how Bold (three-striped mud turtle hatchling) managed to go AWOL a while back. Fortunately that was only for a few hours, but I've been curious.
I was taking care of a really tiny wild turtle in Florida.(no bigger then one half inch) I was keeping it in a hospital sized bedpan until I could release it safely. Flood water is why I tried to keep it. The little brat escaped. I later found the critter and he/she looked like a little dried up rock. This time I put the baby in a small trash plastic container until ready to release. Even though I had kept shallow water the baby was able to climb out. I was able to keep the baby for a while for later release in a deeper sided container.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I was taking care of a really tiny wild turtle in Florida.(no bigger then one half inch) I was keeping it in a hospital sized bedpan until I could release it safely. Flood water is why I tried to keep it. The little brat escaped. I later found the critter and he/she looked like a little dried up rock. This time I put the baby in a small trash plastic container until ready to release. Even though I had kept shallow water the baby was able to climb out. I was able to keep the baby for a while for later release in a deeper sided container.
Did the baby look anything like this?
wp_ss_20181204_0003.png
This is a picture of my little escape artist, Bold. It's from several weeks ago, and the little trouble-finder has grown since. I think Bold may be turning blond on me.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Did the baby look anything like this?
View attachment 258843
This is a picture of my little escape artist, Bold. It's from several weeks ago, and the little trouble-finder has grown since. I think Bold may be turning blond on me.
The baby was so small I couldn't tell. I'd never seen one that small before and I'm a 65 year old, country tomboy girl. The baby was only a half inch and looked like a piece of gravel when I found the escapee in my room on the floor. That's why we rescued it for a while in the first place. The area she was found in was flooded and usually dry so...I'm not sure what we found.