Really concerned, turtle not behaving right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RachelDRules

5 Year Member
About to months ago I acquired a 2 year old eastern box turtle who is believed to be originally wild. Since, she had already been introduced to a domestic turtle, I was told to keep her. Originally I had her set up in a critter cage with natural bedding, a hollowed log, and a water bowl. I let her roam around my room freely when I was home and fed her regularly. I also took her outside for walks when it was above 80 outside.
She was eating perfectly fine for two months. she ate a variety of food but really enjoyed bananas and night crawlers. she ate on a daily basis and walked around A LOT during the day, and slept well at night.

I recently put her into a bigger glass tank, as I was told it is better for their respiratory system. I keep it nice and warm, and I still let her out. Since I've changed her tank she has stopped eating worms, and only nibbles on anything else, even banana.. she also hardly walks around. It is getting very cold outside, and unfortunately, on her second day in the tank she was left without a light for several hours, meaning she could've gotten pretty cold.

She still comes out of her shell, but she's not acting normal. Could she be trying to hibernate, or could she be sick? Any ideas. Please help, I'm very concerned.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
There are a lot of variables.

Where are you located?
How big is your box turtle?
What size tank is it?
What is the temperature of the warm side?
What is the temperature of the cold side?
What is the humidity of the tank?
How much time are you leaving the light on?
Does she have a place to hide?
Does she pace the glass?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you can recall when you first got her.....how did she act when you first got her? Did she eat right away, did she "seem" comfortable right on the spot or did it take a minute?????

I wonder if she just needs to settle in as this is the second change in about 2 months? Along with if she was wild her internal clock could have been set ticking the night she was chilly?

Is she still wanting to walk around when you let her do walk about in your room? Is she still "overall" the same, aside from the not wanting to eat as much and not walking around in the tank?

Do you have the tank walls covered around the bottom 6 + inches so that she has a sense of "privacy" for lack of a better word....?
:D

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
If you still have the other cage set up, it might be interesting to see if she perks up when she's back "home".
I doubt the cold night was bad for her at all, though it might have helped trigger a hibernation response.
Are her eyes healthy looking and bright?
Are her nares (nose holes) dry?
If so, my guess is she is stressed about the new environment, and will need a little time to adjust.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi RachelDRules:

Welcome to the Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is the time of year that box turtles will slow down, almost stop eating, and dig under for days or weeks. If he were outside he would be doing the same thing...getting ready to hibernate. Keep your temp. in the high 70's and try to mimic the daylight hours of Summer. Give her enough substrate to dig into, kieep her warm, and mist the viv often.

M

Maggie Cummings

You can't get any better advice about box turtles from anybody but Terry. She is the resident 'expert' on box turtles. I agree with her that your new turtle is trying to hibernate...Follow her advice and keep her lights on for 12 hours a day...

RachelDRules

5 Year Member
My name is Rachel D. and I'm from Baltimore, Maryland. I'm a freshmen in college studying visual arts (mainly photography, wildlife photography <3 ) and I've been an animal lover my entire life. I have two 9 week old Pomeranians, a grumpy old domestic short hair who's biting my arm because she wants attention, 4 hermit crabs (one that's 10!) and an eastern box turtle named Little T.

She is hardly active at all when I let her out to roam, if she moves, she moves somewhere to hide or "burrow". She's been friendly, active, and eating since we've had her. We tried putting her into her old enclosure again but she's still lethargic.

I noticed today that her eyes are looking a little dry, and that she's blowing bubbles out of one nostril, and the same nostril sounds little it's congested, like some type of flem-ish material is moving around. I have an appointment for the vets tomorrow. Thinking it could be a respiratory thing? and maybe a natural hibernation instinct.

I'll let you know.
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.