Box turtle dragging back legs

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I have an ornate box turtle who is dragging her back legs. She came to me this summer after living in a tank for the past ten years. I put her in an outside pen (and maybe didn't give her enough time to acclimate) when she stopped moving. I took her to the vet where she was diagnosed with a serious skin infection. (It was in both upper back legs under the shell.) She was treated with antibiotics and silver sulfadine. She was doing better the last week - starting to eat and move around. Today I came home and she was dragging her back legs. They have absolutely no tone at all. :( The vet said her cloaca also lacks tone - but she appears to have control over her bladder. She is not egg bound. I'm at a loss. :( It is the saddest thing to see her dragging her back legs. (She is still eating and soaking herself with no issues.) Anyone have any advice for me?

Pameladale

5 Year Member
My male 3 toed box turtle used to do that he was not fed properly & lacked muscle in his legs before I got him after eating better proper lighting calcium and exersize he started walking with all four legs I hope yours will as well

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh, so sad. Side effect from antibiotics maybe? Baytril is toxic and has been known to cause paralysis. Leopard tortoises, for some reason they are more so, some are allergic to it. That side effect is death. I sure hope this is just a temporary thing for this baby.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
ascott said:
Where on the body were the injections given for the antibiotics?

They were given in the front legs - not in the back at all. Plus, she has been off the antibiotics for a while. I wish it was that - I'd least I'd know what is wrong. :(

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
If she is eating and hydrated than time will only tell. I would move her legs for her periodically to keep them limber and to keep the muscles used to flexing.I've dealt with immobile front legs but never dragging rear legs :( best of luck!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
CapturedSerpant said:
What is your boxies diet?

I've only had her a few months, but her diet was mostly fruits and vegetables before she came here. I had been converting her over to a healthier diet when she suddenly got sick.

CapturedSerpant

5 Year Member
I would try more of a high protein diet, gutloaded crickets, cooked chicken, canned cat food, baby food soaks.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
CapturedSerpant said:
I would try more of a high protein diet, gutloaded crickets, cooked chicken, canned cat food, baby food soaks.

Thanks! That's what I've been doing - increasing the protein. Hopefully that will help.

ascott said:
What type of substrate are you using? Is that substrate packed down solid for sturdy stepping?

She was living outside mostly. Even now with her dragging her back legs I keep her in a well shaded outside pen during the day. She actually still gets around quite well even though it's sad to watch her.