Ready to lay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

qixer01

10 Year Member!
I have a female sulcata that's around 6 years old and about 13" long. She was housed with bigger males before I got her. She has been digging big/deep holes in two different spots in her enclosure. Could this be a sign that she is wanting to lay? Any advice would helps. Thanks.

qixer01

10 Year Member!
At first it was her front. But just to make the hole big enuf to sit in. Then she started using her back legs and has dug about 2ft long and about 18 deep.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Yeah sounds like shes just burrowing. The nests really arent deep at all I have never measured mine but maybe 6-8 inches is when I get to the eggs.

qixer01

10 Year Member!
Ok. So I shouldn't keep an eye out for eggs?

Here she is

Attachments

• image-2282766302.png
    image-2282766302.png
    345.3 KB · Views: 34

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I have several 13 inch females and none of them are laying that I have seen. I really wouldnt look out for it until that 15 inch mark.

lampshade

5 Year Member
It looks like in the picture she is pyrimiding a little, its a calcium difficancy so i think you can fix it by adding more bermuda hay to her diet! And she has a gorgeous shell print by the way :)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
lampshade said:
It looks like in the picture she is pyrimiding a little, its a calcium difficancy so i think you can fix it by adding more bermuda hay to her diet! And she has a gorgeous shell print by the way :)

Pyramiding is due to lack of humidity and hydration when younger not calcium deficiency.

lampshade

5 Year Member
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Pyramiding is due to lack of humidity and hydration when younger not calcium deficiency.

Thanks, its scary that i had the wrong information for so long, that could have been bad! That just goes to show, petshop employs are not always correct on what they tell you. Thanks again :)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
lampshade said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

Thanks, its scary that i had the wrong information for so long, that could have been bad! That just goes to show, petshop employs are not always correct on what they tell you. Thanks again :)

No problem :) Most pet shops arent the most reliable for tort info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have never seen or heard of one laying smaller than 15". 17-18" is more common.

shayee

5 Year Member
I haven't had any pet shop employees that know anything about a tortoise. They shouldn't be allowed to sell them in my opinion. Poor Tortoises. I always want to rescue them when I see them. We have rescued all of our Red Foots from Petsmart. Our first one has a problem with her front legs. She can't stretch them to walk. She scoots and pushes with her back legs. She gets around where she wants to go but when it is time to eat I usually take her to the food. Ya know give her a kettle help. Good luck with your Tortoise.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
It's so funny when they sniff around like dogs! Are you giving her calcium on her food? You can also just put some cuttlebone with the shell on the back removed in her cage

Status
Not open for further replies.