Egg laying emergency!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sometimes mold or fungus will grow on the outside of the egg, but the inside is still fine. The only time I chuck an egg is if it fails the sniff test. You can easily smell it when an egg is bad.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Sometimes mold or fungus will grow on the outside of the egg, but the inside is still fine. The only time I chuck an egg is if it fails the sniff test. You can easily smell it when an egg is bad.
Any recommended method to clear it up? I wiped it gently the day I found it like that, but haven't checked since. I'm sceeerrrred.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any recommended method to clear it up? I wiped it gently the day I found it like that, but haven't checked since. I'm sceeerrrred.....

I just wipe it off and make sure the media isn't too wet.

I remember in your initial post the media looked to wet, but you said it had dried out some. I also remember you asking about moving the eggs to new containers with new media. DId you do this? Did you weigh your vermiculite and water for the new containers?

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I just wipe it off and make sure the media isn't too wet.

I remember in your initial post the media looked to wet, but you said it had dried out some. I also remember you asking about moving the eggs to new containers with new media. DId you do this? Did you weigh your vermiculite and water for the new containers?
Yes. I just did that when I got all the stuff last night. I weighed and measured the vermiculite/water just as you instructed. Now each egg is cleaned off and in its own container.
2 are pretty badly cracked and/or dented. But the other 2 look alright.
So I'm hoping that now that I have them better set up, if I didn't screw them up too badly already, I may hatch one or 2 at least.
They all passed the sniff test, but I'm not expecting much from the broken ones.
Only one of my temp/hygro probes came in, I have it connected to the best egg. I should have one for each egg by tonight.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460565281.531131.jpg
The result on the probe monitor is not up to speed, I took this just after I put the lids back on.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460565351.578419.jpg
Looking over everything, I'm aiming for 31-32C and 98% humidity, is that correct??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those temps sound fine and it seems like you are going into this with the right mindset.

Good luck.