Re asking question after being sniped

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Has anyone ever created a multilayered environment to house more than one species (as in ecosphere zoos)?

I was thinking about the practicality of doing so with an arboreal species and an obviously my ground dwelling tort: nit as a forever home but as an inclement/cold weather option until my tort is safe in an outdoor thermocontrolled shed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Does your subject line mean that we 'sniped' at you on another thread? If so, I apologize. We should not do that. Please feel free to ask any question that you want to and I promise we'll try to answer kindly and with no sniping (whatever that is).

I don't like the idea of having more than one species in the same habitat. If you put birds or lizards up above your tortoise then the tortoise is going to be grazing on grass that has been pooped on by a different species than him.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Thanks. I was considering a 1/2" plexi divider and cages around the light and CHE. It is a 4x6' base that is available to enclose as an environmental chamber. I was just wondering if any of the very interesting, smart and creative people on the forum had done anything like that.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
*IF* you had a large enough space for all species (4x6 probably isn't even enough for your tort, let alone multiple species) and *IF* none of the species came into contact with others (no cross contamination with poop, food, anything...for instance by walls between habitats), I suppose in theory it could work...but I think in reality you're looking at sick and/or stressed animals, high costs, and wayyyy more work on your end. I don't think it's a good idea at all.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have a Hermanni tortoise in a tort table in the same shed as my Sulcata. All they share is the temperature. They have no contact with each other. You don't want to mix different species of tortoise and you don't want a tort on the floor to have access to bird or lizard droppings. It's a fine line to walk...

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Probably not. It is just that my flyers (nocturnal/arboreal) never use the
Bottom half of the cage. With complete division, separate environmental controls and humidistat I thought he might have a secondary spot to sleep at night during yucky weather (he is only 9.5" length right now). Anyway, I was just weighing possibilities. Appreciate other people's thoughts ! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah...I Googled it after I made my first response. I'm still sorry and apologize to you. I tried to look back at your previous posts and I couldn't find where we had been rude. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I hope you aren't feeling attacked from my post. ?? If so, I apologize. You wanted to discuss details about the flying squirrels with another member in the "My Best Night Box Design Yet" thread. I wasn't rude or harsh to you. I even included the wonderful winking smiley ;) to seem friendly with my suggestion of moving that discussion to a private convo. It wasn't relevant, afterall.

I do remember seeing your cage photos. I think as long as the bottom of the squirrel cage makes a solid roof for the tort, there shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure you could even get creative and make it look really nice.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If the tort is 9.5 inches long and you are talking about using the bottom of a cage, if the tort begins to constantly pace and turn and such as they can do...will that movement cause the other occupant stress by the movement and sound? That would be the thing I would be concerned about...I mean, I am sure you will cover all of the other basis :D There is no reason why what you describe should not work...I mean, folks are very creative and utilize small spaces with the use of creativity...so go for it...

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
No. The tort is not a super pacer yet for one. He has lots of house and yard habitat time as a norm. When he is in an inside enclosure he checks things out, eats, soaks and just chills. The other "upstairs neighbors" are nocturnal arboreals, so that wouldn't be an issue or stressor. Thanks for asking.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Update: the multilevel habitat works GREAT. My tort has a warm humid hide, basking area and jacuzzi and actually enjoys watching us in the sunroom! The upstairs neighbors are never a bother and the tort now has an alternative to outdoors when weather fails!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401021124.812296.jpg