1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Random questions about Aldabras

Discussion in 'Aldabra tortoises' started by Emily Deshar, May 1, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Emily Deshar

Emily Deshar Member

So I really really want an Aldabra so badly! I live in Nebraska and i was trying to figure something out for the winters. So if we had an unfinished basement and let the aldabra have the whole basement for the winters and nights would that work? I figured I would block any pipes or anything so they cannot get to them. I would put some dirt down and hay for them. I would put a heater and humidifier in as well. Would that work? The basement would be a walk out so it can go in and out as it wants in the warm weather and have the whole backyard. We dont have a house like this yet, but we are thinking of moving into a bigger house in 6 years or so. Just curious if this idea would work because then I could finally have one!! Thanks in advance for an advice.
  2. Alaskamike

Alaskamike Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    South Florida
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    An Aldabra could be raised anywhere , it depends on how much space, $, and effort you are willing to put into it.

Keep in mind the basics
    Heat
    Humidity
    Light , including UV
    Exercise room
    Food / nutrition needs.

As they grow these change. A big one would be kinda like keeping a horse in your basement. They poop allot !

So yes could it - would it work , sure. But is it worth it ? Only you can decide that.
  3. Emily Deshar

Emily Deshar Member

Thank you so much. I will take all this into consideration.
  4. SeyGiantTortoise

SeyGiantTortoise Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Seychelles
    Hello, we are a licensed Aldabra Giant Tortoises exporter. Please let us know if you’re interested in purchasing any. Size Varys.
    Emily Deshar likes this.