Random Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

laramie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, AZ
If you could enforce any law, which law would you choose? For me: I wish it were legal to punch people for being stupid! Especially stupid drivers!!! Sorry..just kind of having a rough day:tort::tort::tort:

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
StudentoftheReptile said:
Oh lord...where do I even begin? Very thought-provoking question! Just ONE law? LOL

I tell you, I would be punching people all day!! Even through the phone!:D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I don't think I could pick just one, but here's some that come to mind:

1.) PARENTING SCHOOL. I used to feel the continued reproduction of stupid people should be restricted, but I am aware that two incredibly stupid parents do not automatically create stupid offspring. And I know there are many thousands of ways to successfully raise a child. I'm not talking about getting nit-picky about it.
I'm talking about simple things like: don't leave the baby unattended on the changing table for long periods of time, where it could possibly roll off. If the kids are outside, keep an eye on them. No-brainer stuff.

2.) Somehow re-structuring traffic laws / preventing vehicle accidents. There are many ways to do this. Steeper penalties for speeding and reckless driving. Design cars that only top out at 90 mph. Seriously, is there any good reason to have a car that goes any faster than that?

3.) Going hand-in-hand with the above, stricter penalties for playing your music too loud in your car. If I can feel it before I hear it, you get a ticket.

4.) NO SAGGIN' PANTS! 'nuff said.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
StudentoftheReptile said:
2.) Somehow re-structuring traffic laws / preventing vehicle accidents. There are many ways to do this. Steeper penalties for speeding and reckless driving. Design cars that only top out at 90 mph. Seriously, is there any good reason to have a car that goes any faster than that?

Heck yes there is a reason. If the guy chasing you can do 90, I gotta be able to go faster!!! :D

If you want to make people drive more safely, you should, outlaw anti-lock brakes, outlaw seat belts, and mount a big sturdy sharp metal spike pointing at the driver in every car. People would slow down, drive courteously and carefully IMMEDIATELY. And those scofflaws that didn't exercise more care would quickly be removed from the gene pool. NOW we are talking progress!!!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Tom said:
Heck yes there is a reason. If the guy chasing you can do 90, I gotta be able to go faster!!! :D

But if NO ONE can go that fast, the point is moot, and I don't have to be concerned with outrunning anyone, right? :p

If you want to make people drive more safely, you should, outlaw anti-lock brakes, outlaw seat belts, and mount a big sturdy sharp metal spike pointing at the driver in every car. People would slow down, drive courteously and carefully IMMEDIATELY. And those scofflaws that didn't exercise more care would quickly be removed from the gene pool. NOW we are talking progress!!!

I heartily agree!
-----

(sigh) On a serious note thought, its just another one of the millions things wrong with the system. They started making cars that can go upwards of 140 mph. Honestly, where in America (besides Daytona, and maybe Montana) can one legally drive that fast? There is simply no legitimate need to go that fast...but why do they make the cars with that capability? Of course, the obvious answer may be so that we can get to where we're going quicker...but at what cost? I don't have any numbers or surveys on front of me, but I wager that if we looked at the history of the automobile, we would see that as technology advanced and cars were designed to go faster and faster, the number of car accidents each year directly increased (even with improvements in vehicular safety).

I dunno...as a new parent, I think about this a lot more...especially every time some punk zooms by me on the highway going 20+ over the posted limit, and there's not a cop in sight. I think, "What's it gonna take for that idiot to slow down?" There's obviously never going to be enough cops to enforce traffic laws. Just trying to think of an alternative.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
The handy capped parking spaces! People just do not respect them for the special needs people!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No its not moot. If the bad guy chasing me has a car that will do the same speed as me, I won't be able to get away, unless I can out maneuver him with superior driving skill. :)

I'm one of those "idiots" that is speeding by you. As I pass I'm saying, "Why doesn't that idiot move out of the way. I was taught slower traffic keep right in driving school. I wouldn't have to zoom around if people observed common courtesy and the rules of the road..." I also like the people with the tail-gaiting bumper stickers. It is physically impossible for me to tail-gait somebody if they are NOT in front of me. They sure get mad, make obscene gestures, put stickers on their car, curse you when you finally get around them, but it NEVER occurs to them to just get the heck out of the way... That's what I do. When I see a car coming up faster than me, I move out of their way, as soon as I safely can. No obscene gestures from me. In fact I usually get a courtesy wave...

Seriously though. I don't need a sign on the side of the road to tell me what speed is safe. I watch conditions and the traffic around me more than my speedo and the speed limit signs. I often hear faster driving referred to as "unsafe". If it were unsafe wouldn't I have racked up a few accidents, close calls and fender benders during the course of 25 years of driving? I had one accident when I first started to drive at 16. Good lesson. Hasn't happened since. And I drive far more miles than the "average" driver too. I seldom clock less than 100 miles a day. Yesterday I clocked 1100. 17 hours... not fun. Anyhow, some food for thought.

Also, did you know that many cars sold nowadays have a chip in there that limits the speed? Many won't go over 90-95 anymore. You are getting your wish and didn't even know it! :)

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I am also a fast driver :p but my theory is that only a semi is bigger than me on the road, so get out of my way. :D

I would like to enforce animal cruelty laws. I'd like to be able to make the people who abuse children and animals suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.