Make A Choice: One Of Two

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would pick my animals . I had snakes and lizards before the wife . If she said get them all out I would say nope . But on the other hand if you're going crazy with all of them it maybe a good idea to sell some . My wife asked me to sell my snakes so I sold all the big ones that could kill me . I still have ball pythons . So you have to ask yourself do I have way too many? Maybe this is the problem .

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Years ago, I was put into that situation. My husband of the time said the shelled ones had to go, but not the cats or dogs. I was making friends with tortoise folks and smiling at things on the computer.

I gave up all but one of my large collection of hingebacks (bells) among others. Worse mistake I ever made and I have made a bunch in my lifetime.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I'd chose the animals

my ex fiance was deadly afraid of pitbull's even tho i have one she tried to make me give up my dog and then when that didn't work she tried to make me keep her outside and just didn't treat her right in general well lets just say i'm single and me and my dog are happier then ever

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Years ago, I was put into that situation. My husband of the time said the shelled ones had to go, but not the cats or dogs. I was making friends with tortoise folks and smiling at things on the computer.

I gave up all but one of my large collection of hingebacks (bells) among others. Worse mistake I ever made and I have made a bunch in my lifetime.
Too bad and sorry to hear that.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That sucks. My wife is into birds and I built an addition onto the house that is now the "bird room".
I have a bunch of fish tanks and the five Redfooteds.
We share the dog.
It's important to know someone very well before you enter into a serious relationship. Your normal might be someone else's insane.
(So says my x-wife):D
IMO it would be a very bad sign about the future if a new love interest wants you to get rid of ANYTHING that is important to you.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
hard to answer. i think if it was the Mrs forcing me to choose between her and the pets just because she didn't like them then there would probably be some much more serious relation ship issues than just the animals. But If it was some thing genuine like she developed an allergy to the cats for eg. Then I would choose the wife hands down every time.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
hard to answer. i think if it was the Mrs forcing me to choose between her and the pets just because she didn't like them then there would probably be some much more serious relation ship issues than just the animals. But If it was some thing genuine like she developed an allergy to the cats for eg. Then I would choose the wife hands down every time.
Yes. In that case I would completely agree!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Too bad and sorry to hear that.

Yes, too bad I gave the marriage a chance. It happened about seven years into the marriage and after that the end came about a year later. He knew better then to make me give up my dogs.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I had to make that choice. My husband is very sick and needs help, and there isn't much time to devote to my tortoises. I know he would sacrifice for me so I had to re-home my Cherry Heads. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do as they were much loved pets that I put a lot of time, research and love into since they were tiny little things. It worked out good for them as they are in a warm climate now and never have to go inside. It was upsetting each Winter when they had to come in, but I still cry for them all the time. My husband was upset knowing he was the cause of my sadness, but this is life and of course I would choose my husband. Animals can adapt if they are given to loving homes, but I would be very sad without my husband. There are different circumstances too, of course, but if your other half loves you and you love him/her, the choice shouldn't be the animal.....IMHO.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I had to make that choice. My husband is very sick and needs help, and there isn't much time to devote to my tortoises. I know he would sacrifice for me so I had to re-home my Cherry Heads. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do as they were much loved pets that I put a lot of time, research and love into since they were tiny little things. It worked out good for them as they are in a warm climate now and never have to go inside. It was upsetting each Winter when they had to come in, but I still cry for them all the time. My husband was upset knowing he was the cause of my sadness, but this is life and of course I would choose my husband. Animals can adapt if they are given to loving homes, but I would be very sad without my husband. There are different circumstances too, of course, but if your other half loves you and you love him/her, the choice shouldn't be the animal.....IMHO.
I don't think anyone here would disagree with you in this situation.
Of course you did the right thing, though I cannot imagine how hard that is.
I hope your husband has many happy days with you ahead and I'm sure he appreciates what you did and , though he is upset, loves you all the more.
Bless you both and the torts in their new home.

ShannonC

South Carolina

Absolutely the right thing to do!! I would do it in those circumstances without any doubt!! Anything that had to do with my husbands well-being in any way would be a no-brainer. I would do anything for my husband! And he would do anything for me......and put up with pretty much anything....LOL

But, I do stand behind my ultimatum opinion.......if someone gives you an ultimatum, there is not enough love in the relationship....if it has to be all-or-nothing without any discussion or any give and take, I'd take my animals and run!