Reptiles and Bakeries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Ok, well, here goes. Right now I am going to school for a career in baking with a minor in business, so that in about three years, I can open my own bakery/cafe.

This is why I posted it on this site: I want to do a themed bakery, and have live reptiles in the dining section. I have been looking into custom enclosures all day and that sort of thing, but this is what I am wondering...Is it legal to have reptiles (in enclosures of course) in a dining establishment? I know that restaurants can have tanks of fish, and my mom was in a restaurant in HI that had an aviary...but so far in my internet searches, I have not come across any establishments that house reptiles except for pet stores and their like.

Does anyone have any information on this? Is there a law that says it can only be fish?...Has anyone ever been in a restaurant with reptiles in it? (or any other kind of place that was not a pet store)

I've never been to a Rain forest Cafe either, do they have reptiles?

Ugh....I may have answered my own question a bit...I found an HACCP & Sanitation in Restaurants and Food Service Operations PDF that had a portion about animals allowed in restaurants.

I'm depressed now. It basically said you can have fish, and crustaceans in tanks in the dining areas, but said nothing about reptiles...Sheesh. Dumb.

It also went on to say that caged animals are allowed in areas not used for storage, preparation, sales, display or dining (of food). Then how do some restaurants have birds?

Does anyone have any more info about this? Is there some kind of loophole?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Meg
I can't help you with your idea, but I really like the idea. I am sure a lot of reptile lovers will love it too. I went to the restaurant rain cafe in Connecticut and there were not reptile, well there were no real animals.
Let us know if you find something :)
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.