Rabbit cage for outdoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
Would it be ok to buy a giant rabbit cage and make it in to a spare enclosure for use outside, and maybe a big tile or something on the top on one side for shade? This would only be fore the summer, and then probably only for daytime (raccoons, rats, birds of prey, scavenging birds, cats, dogs, and on rare occasions deer that trample everything, bears, and mountain lions). I would put it on a brick tiled area of our backyard that is highly visible from about half the downstairs of the house.

The indoor enclosure would be upstairs in my room all year long. It gets very cold downstairs due to inadequate floor insulation that is not likely to be fixed any time soon, and I don't want to lug a rabbit cage up and down the stairs all the time (or even twice a year, if I left it downstairs in the summers).

I am planning on getting a Hermann's tortoise.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
A rabbit cage would be perfect, but put some substrate in it and a wooden box as a house along with some hides.
I use rabbit cages for over-wintering and when i have reptiles on holiday (long story).

You can also use them inside because you can hang the UV lighting and heating from the stop of the cage, Just make sure the cage is big enough for it to move freely..

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
bikerchicspain said:
A rabbit cage would be perfect, but put some substrate in it and a wooden box as a house along with some hides.
I use rabbit cages for over-wintering and when i have reptiles on holiday (long story).

You can also use them inside because you can hang the UV lighting and heating from the stop of the cage, Just make sure the cage is big enough for it to move freely..

Thanks for the reply!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I have a couple large ones for each of the RFs to catch some rays...and also another that I fill the bottom with water and let the RESs catch some rays during.g the summer as well....

You can use some shade cloth on one side to allow for shade .....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.