R.I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
Are respitory infections contagious? I think my male may have one. I am giving him the nose drops I got from the vet for Trudy, but really don't want to take him in. I think my husband will kill me. I have them seperated. What else can I do? Does he need shots like Trudy has. I know my turtles hate me :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
keep an eye on him and try to keep him warmer, sometimes they can heal on their own, I would advise giving meds to another turtle if at all possible, you should usually use all of the medicine a doctor prescribes for the particular tortoise. As for them being contagious I don't know wait for someone more knowledgeable for that question.

I doubt he hates you, you may not be his favorite person at the moment. but that is all.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
RI's are HIGHLY contagious....you said you had your other torts nosedrops...was the other tortoise sick with a RI as well previously? And if yes ...were both tortoise housed together before treatment of the other? What makes you think that your tortoise has RI anyways.....I would suggest not using nose drops from previously ill tortoise on another one....you do not want to expose one tortoise germs to another.....

Please share with us why you believe your tortoise has RI?

And Angi....your torts don't hate you...they are too gracious a creature for that silliness :D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Yes they were house together. Trudy has the RI and I have had her in a seperate area sense I notice she was sick. Waldo's eyes started looking puffy like hers. I have been giving them both the same bottle of drops. My doc is out of town but when he gets back I will ask for two new bottles.
I think they hate me because I am the big mean giant that comes and puts drops in their noses and hurts Trudy with the shots :(

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It's very contagious. Keep them seperate, and raise the temp. in his enclosure. Trudy will forget when she gets better and you bring the food.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Angi...have you gone down your checklist for your male? Is he hydrated (with the heat we had for the last couple of weeks) really well? Has he been eating business as usual? Is he as active business as usual? (With him being separated from Trudy you may account for a bit more calmness) is he gaping his mouth for breath (not the normal physical act of breathing) are his eyes and nose wet and bubbly (not the clear bubbles that they sometimes have via the nose) lethargic.....

Keep in mind that puffy eyes can also be a sign of overheating or dehydrated and alone not RI.....

However, if your vet said Trudy has RI and you have been treating her with a nasal drop along with injections then you used the nose spray on Waldo there may have been direct horizontal type transfer from the nasal spray mechanism ....I would not use the nasal things any more on Waldo after using it on Trudy....and I agree, use the entire prescribed dosage of meds for Trudy in its entirety to assure her best chance of the control....then call your vets office and perhaps ask them to allow you to pick up the antibiotics and nasal spray for Waldo if he indeed has now shared the RI...

Status
Not open for further replies.