How can anyone say they are ugly?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba30

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
My husband bought me my bubba (my sulcata tortoise) on January 30 of this year, and she is the cutest thing ever. My husband alway asks for her but alsosay She is super boring (my husband secretly loves bubba). My older sister says she is gross. But I love bubba

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I have a new perspective and appreciation for this thread! Yesterday my older child had a friend over. The father walked in to talk for a minute when he dropped off. He walked over the the enclosure to see what was in it. Leia had been all spread out under her basking light. She is very social and curious so she got up and was trying to peek over the side. When he looked over they were face to face! He screamed (not a manly scream) and jumped backwards. I said that she is just curious and very sweet. The revulsion on his face was obvious and he would not approach the enclosure again!! I thought I was tough but my heart is broken! I just don't understand!!!!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Oh Erin I am still laughing. I would love to see a grown man scream over a tort. The closes we ever came to that was when my hubby took the trash out and touched a rattler it was a biggie I think 11 buttons about 5 feet and it didn't rattle. He didn't scream, but the fear on his face was apperent and when my then 4 year old went up behind him and touched his arm he jumped about a foot. I have to say I was pretty freacked out back then too, so couldn't laugh at him. But a tort you gotta be kidding.

Don't let it hurt your feelings, some people just don't see the beauty we do. Just say to yourself " There are none so blind as those who will not see" And take pitty at what they are missing.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
I love all animals cats,dogs, bunnies, tortoises, you name it but that doesn't mean I would want to keep them. Bunnies are sweet and fluffy but they require a lot of maintenance especially if you keep them inside. I love dogs and cats when I was younger I wanted to show dogs. Right now my kitty is rubbing me I love him to death. To me its not the look that i am attracted to it's the bond. That special one on one relationship you have with your animals. My mom hates reptiles because they arent furry and you can't cuddle them

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I could never say I was a reptile person until I got Bob and Shelby. To me torts are so sweet, cute and loveble, but not needy. I understand what someone said about rats. I don't get that. I have a good friend that has a hamster and two rabbits. There are cute but seem more like garden pests to me. They also stink.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I love every animal and I "get it". I can see the appeal to keeping pets such as cockroaches, millipedes, snakes, and especially rats because I have owned several in the past.

But in the future I think I will live with only dogs and tortoises. :D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I had a rat when I was very young I never really bonded to it. I have had lots of dogs and cats that I loved, but at my age (mid 40s) I am tired of taking care of everything and everyone ( part of being the mom I know I shouldn't complain) Taking care of the torts is relaxing for me not a chore. They are quiet, they don't stink or argue and the are so darned cute :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
When my (now) wife and I first got together, she emphasized that she had "a few" pets and that they werre not a negotiable item...when I first visited her home, I found out that "a few" pets meant 1 blind cocker spaniel, 1 miniature collie, a pair of Russian hamsters, a Japanese rat, and 22 guinea pigs.

When she 1st came over to my place, she met my 3 Great Danes, my 2 African Rock pythons, my 5 Columbian boa constrictors, my 5 Russian tortoises, my parrot and my bobcat/Siamese hybrid.

At that point we knew we were meant to be together...

When I bought our property out in Da Boonies, and told her that we were moving out of the city, her only question was "How would you feel about my getting a few goats?" and for my following birthday, she got me Hamlet, my mini-pig.

We've since lost a few pets to age, and aquired a few others...

Still, it's great to find someone who's weirdnesses mesh to well with your own. :cool:

bumblebee51

5 Year Member
I have a Hermanns tortoise and I think he is the cutest thing EVER! Most of my friends say he's gorgeous but there are a few that wonder why I wanted one!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Almost all of my family call her ugly,boring,pointless, and whats the point having a dinosaur when you can have a dog.
My mother always says " almost all 13 year olds want' a dog or something like that but i have to have you that all he wants' is freaking tortoise"
haha i just laugh and basically say "shusshhh....."
i love her always will for the next 75 years hopefully i say "well you dont' like her you dont' have to see her" but everytime aunties,uncles,cousouns..etc......
visit they say " you still have the tort or can we feed it or stroke it"
IM CONFUSED :/

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
bumblebee51 said:
I have a Hermanns tortoise and I think he is the cutest thing EVER! Most of my friends say he's gorgeous but there are a few that wonder why I wanted one!

Hermann's tortoises are the yardstick which beauty should be measured...anyone who can't see that is a sad person, indeed, and worthy of our collective pity!

All other varieties of tortoises are nearly as wonderful... :tort:

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Whenever people have questioned my choice of pets in the past, i.e, rats, potbelly pigs, lizards, etc. I just tell them I'm an Equal Opportunity Animal Lover, that I don't discriminate, and that all animals need love. Except ticks and fire ants. They don't need love. They need someone to send them on to their next life as, hopefully, something nicer. But everyone else needs love...

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
Always wanted a tortoise. Took me many years to finally break down and get one. I can't believe how obsessed I have gotten in just a short time! They are so much more interesting than dogs or cats. You actually have to study and learn to raise them. Anybody can raise a dog, but it takes a special person to raise a tort! :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
shellysmom said:
Whenever people have questioned my choice of pets in the past, i.e, rats, potbelly pigs, lizards, etc. I just tell them I'm an Equal Opportunity Animal Lover, that I don't discriminate, and that all animals need love. Except ticks and fire ants. They don't need love. They need someone to send them on to their next life as, hopefully, something nicer. But everyone else needs love...

Sounds reasonable to me! :cool: :tort: :p :tort: :cool:

The Speedmister

5 Year Member
UK
When I look at tortoises, I see nothing but innocent, anachronistic beauty! I honestly cannot understand how someone couldn't find a tort adorable.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I've never known anyone to think turtles are ugly or revolting. They may not be fans, but they don't dislike them either. Not everyone shares my passion for them, and not everyone finds their features as cute or as beautiful as I do, but people generally seem to understand why I like them.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I've never known anyone to think turtles are ugly or revolting. They may not be fans, but they don't dislike them either. Not everyone shares my passion for them, and not everyone finds their features as cute or as beautiful as I do, but people generally seem to understand why I like them.

I've been told by some chronically humor-impaired that my love for tortoises is a sign of immaturity...

I generally just tell 'em to
lghrf00148+bart-simpson-eat-my-shorts-the-simpsons-mini-poster.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.