quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy-Tort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
LA, CA
while perusing the site, I've noticed alot of people use spring mix. I thought some of the stuff in it like, like spinach, weren't all that good for torts. Is it just the frequeny you feed them spring mix, or am I off on this?
I really want to broaden what I feed Trodor, since all I have atm is zoomed grassland, endive, romaine, and when in stock nearby, dandilion and chopped nopales. I did order some mazuri, should arive early next week

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My sulcata does not like mazuri, some do some don't, the amount of spinach in spring mix is low so you can either pick it out or feed it. I live in calidornia so my guy is a little spoiled fresh stuff grows nearly all year long.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I buy a spring mix that does not contain spinach. I also buy other greens such as kale, collard greens and endive to mix it up. My dandelions, grass and weeds that started are finally growing and I also provide opuntia cactus and mazuri. That is pretty much the varied diet I provide. I don't do romaine. I plan on adding more as things become available with the warmer weather.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
We used to buy the spring mix that does not contain spinach. Right now my 2 Sulcata's are eating Mazuri, cactus and what we grow in the yard and my 5 year old also get Timothy hay and they both get to graze all they want although my hatching doesn't much care for grass yet..

Lazy-Tort

5 Year Member
LA, CA
thank you all for the responces. Is romaine something I should feed infrequently?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Romaine is fine, but it is not very nutritious. When they eat it, it takes the place of what they should be eating that IS more nutritious. A little bit once in a while is fine. I just wouldn't rely on it as a staple.

There are so many free and healthy to eat weeds around here. Check out the plant ID section and see if any of the weeds look familiar to you. Just make sure they are free of pesticides and other chemicals.

Grape vines are another easy one. You can buy them for $5-10 and either plant them or grow them in a big pot. They are really nutritious too.

Also look for any friends or neighbors that have mulberry trees. The leaves are a great food source.

Lazy-Tort

5 Year Member
LA, CA
Tom said:
Romaine is fine, but it is not very nutritious. When they eat it, it takes the place of what they should be eating that IS more nutritious. A little bit once in a while is fine. I just wouldn't rely on it as a staple.

There are so many free and healthy to eat weeds around here. Check out the plant ID section and see if any of the weeds look familiar to you. Just make sure they are free of pesticides and other chemicals.

Grape vines are another easy one. You can buy them for $5-10 and either plant them or grow them in a big pot. They are really nutritious too.

Also look for any friends or neighbors that have mulberry trees. The leaves are a great food source.

Thanks a bunch! I'm learning more everyday :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good! I think that's what we all come here for. I have learned a ton of new stuff from the people here.

Thanks people!!! :)

Lazy-Tort

5 Year Member
LA, CA
I have another question, thought it would be better to just post it here :)
Right now I am using cypress mulch and sphagnum moss for bedding, where I had been using nothing but coco coire and the reason for the switch was my torts tub was overun with bugs. I believe they were springtails, and seeong as they pose no harm it wasn't much of a big deal until it looked like the bottom of the tub was moving. They even spread to my turtle's tank.
We had to move soon anyways so I stopped trying to get rid of em and just replaced everything. Now I'm in a townhouse and my mom's concerned about them in my new cypress mulch. Is there anyway to get rid of them once they've popped up? or to prevent them from it before I put new bedding in? My turt n tort live in the living room and it just occured to me how miserable that might make things

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I imagine you could always sterilize the substrate.

Lazy-Tort

5 Year Member
LA, CA
dmmj said:
I imagine you could always sterilize the substrate.

I just finished looking around, and it looks like not many people have issues with sphag moss or cypress by themselves. From now on I will freeze or bake the mulch and moss just to be sure. better safe than sorry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.