Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rylo922

10 Year Member!
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pet/3851205058.html

I just found this big guy about 25 miles from where I live. I currently have a baby russian that is only 11 months old, but would like to have a tortoise for my classroom pet as well. Are Greeks typically friendly for something like this? My classroom is a level 3 special education sever and profound room. The students love animals, but one is allergic to furry animals. Also, how does the Greek compare to the Russian? Are they very similar? Do they grow to about the same size?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know much about Greeks. However, the aquarium in the add is too small for Tank. If you get him, I would ask to buy the tort and maybe the lighting, but not the enclosure.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Greeks get a tad bigger then Russians, the care however isn't to far off. Why not have your younger Russian in the classroom? Either way you would have to build a tortoise table and have all the heat lamps etc.. Maybe somedays you can bring him to class others just keep him at home in the main enclosure. Tortoises don't do well in classrooms. You can also look into lizards or fish for classroom... Or a small species like a musk turtles.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I really wouldn't keep a tort in a classroom. I work in a school and a classroom is far too noisy. I think any tort woukd find it far tooo intimidating for a home. They are not social creatures.

Don't get me wrong, Joe visits my school, but it's in summer when he can be outdors and he gets to go home to the peace and quiet that he enjoys.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I also agree, torts don't make good class pets for the most part. Schools usually are on the colder side indoors, and also, housing would need to be arranged for weekends, holidays, and summers. They are also usually pretty noises and depends on the age of the students.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
(-_-) it wouldnt get any bigger he said... that its a little bigger than his hand he said... THIS GUY MUST HAVE SOME GIGANTIC HANDS! That tort needs to be rescued! MAINLY LETTUCE! THE EFFFFF!!!!! Even with the book i dont think he knows what the hell his doing... im no pro but come on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.