New and excited! Looking for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanibella

5 Year Member
Hi! I am excited to finally post on this forum. I live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US. I teach third-grade at a high-poverty, inner city charter school. My tortoise (that I have not yet selected, hence the need for advice) will not only be a lifetime family member to me, but will also be a classroom pet. I know the (unfortunately often deservedly) negative reputation of classroom pets- but don't worry- this tortoise will be well taken care of and beloved. I am able to transport it back and forth every day if you deem that is in the tortoise's best interest, and I will certainly be the one taking care of it on the weekends. I have a large space in the classroom reserved for the enclosure (possible tortoise table? thoughts?). I also have a long, large coat closet that the students do not enter and is quite large, in case the tortoise would be better off spending the majority of its time there.

I have been researching species and it seems that the three best species for my needs are the Russian, Hermann, and Greek. I would like a tortoise species that is generally friendly, outgoing, and doesn't mind being handled or pet on occasion. What do you recommend? Also, any recommendations on the age of the tortoise? Should I be looking at babies or adults?

Thank you!

ETA: Clarification

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi sanibella:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Of your three species choices, I am only familiar with the Russian (Agrionemys horsfieldii) tortoise. They are very personable and outgoing.

In my opinion, the tortoise should have an outdoor habitat first and an indoor habitat secondary. So, if it lives during the week in the classroom, when he comes home, he needs to be outside. There's just nothing like sunshine to keep a tortoise healthy and happy. I understand that he'll have to be indoors during cold weather, and in that case, the larger the habitat the better. And a good UVB light. I recommend an MVB (mercury vapor bulb), as it is heat and UV all in one bulb.

sanibella

5 Year Member
Yvonne-

Thanks for the reply and the catch. Sanibella is fine with me.

I do have an outdoor space for the tortoise at home (and actually possibly at school) and agree that there is no real substitution for sunshine. Thank you for the recommendation of the MVB.

Thanks for the feedback on the species. I am open to other species if you have any suggestions?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I am biased towards Russians ;) . They are fairly hardy. It would probably be best to get an adult.
All 3 torts you mention are great.
However, I think you are more likely to find a Russian on Craigslist. The disadvantage is that sometimes conditions are deplorable, but even in those cases, with some love and possibly a vet visit, these torts persevere. If you helped a tort, you would be doing a good deed, seems to me there is a teachable moment there!
Getting a tort that has been a 'pet' (regardless of conditions), means he or she will be more used to human interaction, and less fearful, spend more time in the open. A pet store tort is more recently wild caught (usually) and thus often shyer.
If you had a nice inside and secure outside enclosure at school, the tort could stay there during the week (could even be brought in at night), and home on weekends and holidays to your tort table (winter) or outdoor enclosure (warmer months).
Lots of good set ups on the Enclosure section if you scroll through page by page, as most of us have done.
The MVB for UV and heat is a good suggestion.
How nice that you have done your research and keep asking questions!

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Hello, Sanibella! welcome to the forum!! I'm with y'all i would go with the Russian.

sanibella

5 Year Member
Joker said:
Hello, Sanibella! welcome to the forum!! I'm with y'all i would go with the Russian.

Joe, love that you are from Naples! Does my screen name sound familiar?

sanibella

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
I am biased towards Russians ;) . They are fairly hardy. It would probably be best to get an adult.
All 3 torts you mention are great.
However, I think you are more likely to find a Russian on Craigslist. The disadvantage is that sometimes conditions are deplorable, but even in those cases, with some love and possibly a vet visit, these torts persevere. If you helped a tort, you would be doing a good deed, seems to me there is a teachable moment there!
Getting a tort that has been a 'pet' (regardless of conditions), means he or she will be more used to human interaction, and less fearful, spend more time in the open. A pet store tort is more recently wild caught (usually) and thus often shyer.
If you had a nice inside and secure outside enclosure at school, the tort could stay there during the week (could even be brought in at night), and home on weekends and holidays to your tort table (winter) or outdoor enclosure (warmer months).
Lots of good set ups on the Enclosure section if you scroll through page by page, as most of us have done.
The MVB for UV and heat is a good suggestion.
How nice that you have done your research and keep asking questions!

Lynne, you have been such a help to me on this forum so far. What a wonderful resource you are. I really appreciate the help.

And to all- thanks for the welcomes and the advice. I have decided on a Russian.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
Welcome and glad your getting a russian ... they are good with the kids and he/she that you get will warm up fast to the kids just make sure they dont make fast movements around him/her and it will let them pet him/her... mine loves to have his chin rubed and will nudge by finger if i stop ... my 11 year old daughter hand feeds him all the time , and still not even one bite on the finger ...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
sanibella said:
Lynne, you have been such a help to me on this forum so far. What a wonderful resource you are. I really appreciate the help.

And to all- thanks for the welcomes and the advice. I have decided on a Russian.

Soon you will be doing the same for others, I am not too far ahead of you! But is can be overwhelming at first.

sanibella

5 Year Member
slowpoke said:
Welcome and glad your getting a russian ... they are good with the kids and he/she that you get will warm up fast to the kids just make sure they dont make fast movements around him/her and it will let them pet him/her... mine loves to have his chin rubed and will nudge by finger if i stop ... my 11 year old daughter hand feeds him all the time , and still not even one bite on the finger ...

Slowpoke, your Russian sounds adorable! I hope mine is like yours.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Sanibella- I think you will be very happy with a Russian tortoise.

Moderator hat on-
A specific post was deleted, and posts referring to it were deleted or edited. I hope I did not cross a line doing this, and I apologize if I did.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
Madkins007 said:
Moderator hat on-
A specific post was deleted, and posts referring to it were deleted or edited. I hope I did not cross a line doing this, and I apologize if I did.

No prob from here. It was totally uncalled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.