questions questions questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fashionpriest

5 Year Member
i found this tortoise (most prob dumped) near my apt in hong kong. after geting his breed right (pet shop told me he is a greek) i started reading up alot online but i have a few questions. i know its complicated but i am trying my best. hope u experts could help me out as i kind of dont trust pet shops and what they have to say and sell.

i ordered a wooden, mesh cage which is 47inch by 17inch with a height of 20 inches.
i also bought a uv 5 light
a 25 and a 50 watt basking light.
even bought a hibiscus plant to add some in his meals.
what i would like to know r the following.
1. the pet shop said he is a greek but i dont know what kind , could someone help as he has orange in him.
2. and how big is he/she going to be. at this moment, he is about the size of my ipod.
3. wht is the right temperature for these beautiful creatures.
4 the humidity level?
5 how do i tell their age.
6 what is the gender.
7 what is the best and healthiest and cleanest bedding to use for this breed.
8 how often should i completely clean out the cage if he poos and pees in a tank of water i soak him/her in for 10mins a day.
9 how do i increase or decrease the humidity
10 and when basking and uv light time is over.... how do i increase or 11 11 decrease the temperature of his cage.
12. at what age would he/she stop growing.
13. are these breeds better of alone or should i get him a mate to play and grow up with? i live in an apartment and thats the biggest (see above measurements) i could go with my cage and cant house another one.
please please please help. i

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 54

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
You have what I think is a Female Jordanian Greek.

1.) The pet shop was right, it is a Greek.

2.) Male Jordanians get between 5-5.5 inches, females, 6-7 inches. Here is a link to measure her properly: http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

3.) You need a basking spot of 95-97 degrees Fahrenheit and a cooler side of 75F during the day. Jordanians can have a temp drop at night, but go NO LOWER than 60F.

4.) she will need some humidity because I do not think she is adult sized. I would say, you want a humid hide (search the term on this site for directions) so that you have an area of atleast 55-65% humidity.

5.) Age can be seen kind of like rings on a tree. It also depends on size. I would guesstimate her between 4 and 6 yrs old. If the petstore told you a measurement in months, they were lying. Baby torts are around 1-1.5 inches for the first couple months.

6.) I think female.

7.) I use Aspen Bedding. You can also use eco earth and sand (70% EE, 30% sand ) Stay AWAY from anything with FIR, PINE, or CEDAR in it. Those woods and their oils are toxic to tortoises. You can also use organic potting soil, with no fertilizers or perlite in it. I warn though, its messy.

8.) spot clean feces, wet spots, and old food items daily. Change bedding fully when it starts to smell, or look old. Think of how you would want to live, clean, and dry.

9.) I have an area in my enclosure that is straight, moist eco earth. It is separate from the aspen, because I have a divider secured to the bottom of the bin. That helps keep one side humid, the other side dry. Don't get the aspen wet, if you use it, it will mold. I can attach a pic here, if you like.

10.) The UVB bulb should be on ALL day. What brand are you using? If you have ANYTHING coiled, ditch it. They cause blindess in torts. I suggest you get a mercury vapor bulb. Its heat, and UVB all in one bulb. Try Powersun, or Trex 100 watt. I know of a site that is having a sale on Powersun bulbs as well. You will need a 10.5 inch lamp as well, to hide the bulb completely, or edges will stick out.

11.) A MVB bulb will keep it the temperature you need it. The cage should be big enough that there is a hot side, and a cool side, so YOU don't have to do anything with the temps, the tort will regulate herself.

12.) Age can't really predict it. She will stop growing when she reaches her adult size--I would say by ten years at least. There are alot of other factors in growth, like temp, diet, humidity etc.

Please post some pictures of your set up

fashionpriest

5 Year Member
thanks meg.
i am using retisun uv 5 from zoo med. it looks like a ikea bulb
though they have alot of reptile shops in hong kong, they dont hve any proper or different bedding options. they hve hay, pellets and newspapers. i did manage to find this product.- http://s3.amazonaws.com/tc-photos/11442/product/giant/514177.jpg - is it okie to just use this? i am afraid to get soils in hk as they r always heavily fertalized... nothing organic i hve found.
how do u tell the age with rings, is there a website. is there a good book about these breed of tortoise i could buy?
i really would like her to hve a friend. do u think this cage size [47inch by 17inch with a height of 20 inches.]would be okie for 2 when they r fully grown. thats the biggest my apt could house. i cant let them out cause i hve 3 dogs.
do they do well alone? or as pairs?
sk

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Use the product in the link you gave me. That would be perfect. Keep it moist, so that it packs when you grab it, but you can't squeeze any liquid out.

They do best ALONE. Really, a buddy would only upset her. Its just someone to fight for food and sleeping space with. They are not like people, they do not get lonely.

EgyptianDan, here, can tell you her age. He is the one who told me how old my Greek was.

What have you named her? I would love to see some more pictures.

fashionpriest

5 Year Member
cool, i will get it tmrow. and spray some water on it to keep it moist.
thank god, i like her alot and i was hoping i dont need to get her a mate.
i am actually looking for a reptile vet in hk to get her checked for worms and such.
i hope egyptian dan replies my post. hehe
her cage is being made professionally so for the time being she is in a glass teranium with basic needs. once my cage is set up i will def post some pics of it and of her.
since i did not know her sex and i knew she was greek (thks to the pet shop owner who helped me identify) i named her euro ... tacky i know >.<

do u know any good books about these jordan greeks i could buy online? there is non in english in hong kong :(

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Go to the Forum "Greek Geeks" on this site, and do some reading. Its very informative.

fashionpriest

5 Year Member
i did....hehe, thanks.
im waiting for confirmation from dan bout this breed
eheeh

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree with Meg :D It's a female Jordanian greek. She's between 4 and 5 years old. Meg has given you some great advice already :)

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome fashionpriest, Meg gave you great information. in answer to your question #10 you can set up an infared bulb or ceramic heat emitter (CHE) at night. To help increase temperatures if your apartment temperatures get low. The CHE does not put off any light, just heat. You adjust the temps by raising and lowering your bulbs. Also counting the rings on a tortoise does not always work because they have good and bad years, which are dry or flush with food. There's a couple of nice book called Mediterranean Tortoises by Lance Jepson and Mediterranean Tortoises (completely illustrated in exquisite colour) by Brian Pursall that can be bought online, I think through Amazon. Your Tort would be viewed as Testudo graeca.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Fashionpriest:

2012913fnkurm7m6l.jpg

to the forum!

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! I find much better info online than in books. Much more recent too. I've read some blatantly wrong info in books where everyone on this forum has always pointed me in the correct direction. :) Best wishes. Hope to see you around more soon.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Omg your tort looks just like mine !!!! Tallula is a 5yr old female Jordanian greek :p I LOVE the orange in her, like her tail has the most, soooo pretty. You'll love your Greek, they're so friendly and my Tallula just loves people. Kudos to you for researching all the right stuff to keep her happy, this is the perfect place for you to learn it all :)

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Oh what a darling little thing, glad it will have a great home!

fashionpriest

5 Year Member
I KNOW THIS is a thread for beautiful greeks.... but..... i decided to get another tortoise today while i was buying some stuff for my tortoise... it is an indian star. was just wondering if i could keep them both together. he is about 5 yrs old. could dan, meg or someone please advise me more about keeping them both together. i think i am falling in love with tortoises. both of these species kinda need different temerature and humidity. should i settle for the middle or have two different cages? i am hoping on using eco coconut soil from zoomed. can u guys reconfirm his age and sex as well? thanks alot.
best
sk

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 20

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your new Star tortoise is a male. :D

You are though going to have to keep them set-up seperately. Like you thought, they need different living conditions and it's not fair to try to accomodate the 2 in one enclosure.
Saying nothing the normal quarantine period (usually 3 to 6 months) and the chance to give your Hermanns or Star pathogens they aren't used to.
So yes keeping them seperate is the best thing for both them and you. :D

Danny

fashionpriest

5 Year Member
deep down inside... i was hoping for a u could keep them together answer. i live in a 700sqft apt and two 46 inch width tanks.... is going to kill!!! but i will find a way

i know the perfect set up for my greek. could u please tell me the perfect set up for my star? he is somehow less friendly n timid than the greek. he hides alot unlike the greek who likes spacing out while basking and walking around.
for a star what i would like to know r the following.
1. is he indian, burmese or sri lankan
2. and how big is he/she going to be.
3. wht is the right temperature for these beautiful creatures.
4 the humidity level?
5 how do i tell their age.
7 what is the best and healthiest and cleanest bedding to use for this breed.
he never basks.... is it normal? he is always in hiding.
12. at what age would he/she stop growing.
13. is there something special i should look out for or offer him?

thank u in advance dan.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Fashionpriest, I do not have Stars so I will be of no help there. But enclosures. Think of going UP. There are several in the enclosure section of pic were people have built their enclosures stacked like bunkbeds. Here is the one I was thinking of,
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-1392.html

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome to the forum, fashionpriest. You will now have plenty of lively activity in your home with three dogs, two tortoises and yourself to accommodate.:) You will love having tortoises, they are fascinating creatures to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.