Greek Tortoise temp. help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I have a baby Greek tortoise and I was wondering if my cage has the right temperature and humidity. The basking area is around 90 f. and the cool end is around 80 f. The light we use is powersun uv by zoomed 100 watt. His substrate is dry bed a beast and we might get sand. If we get the sand (It will be a 50/50 mix) should we make the bed a beast moist? I read that they need some moisture as babies. We also have a more focused dome for the lamp to make it less hot in the cool area. Its an indoor cage 2 feet by 4 feet if that helps.

Oh yeah and does anyone know what kind he is? I think he is just a common Greek but i don't know for sure. I posted some pics using attachments.
-Thanks!:tort:

Attachments

• HermyColor.JPG
    HermyColor.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 81
  • HermyBottom.JPG
    HermyBottom.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 63

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
90 is okay, 95-105 would be better for a basking area with a cooler area of mid 70's through very low 80's. Some moisture should be added to at least half of the substrate and ambient air humidity maintained above 50%. Better would be 60-70% if possible. They really require more than "some moisture" as babies, they should have quite a bit of moisture in the forms of substrate moisture, ambient air humidity and hydration (drinking water).
I would stay away from sand as a solitary substrate. For one it's too dry and dusty, secondly in tends to stick to everything that contains the slightest bit of moisture on a tortoise like their eyes and mouth. Organic soils are a better choice of substrate. Many people have great sucess with various mixes.
The photos aren't really clear but your tortoise appears to be a Northern Mediterranean Ibera Greek, Testudo ibera.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I use a organic potting soil, I find it cheap and it's just like their natural habit, underneath it's moist, but on top it's dry, I've been using it for 3 years now and it works for me and my lot, of which I have lost count on how many I have AGAIN, but the hubby still thinks I only have 8,,... :D:D:D

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
Ok Thanks! We lowered the light and now the basking area is around 95 and the cool end is around 78. the bed a beast (coconut coir fiber) dries out on top but stays damp underneath. Should I mist or make part of the top damp? He doesnt burrow at all and i'm not sure if thats normal not normal or what. He seems to like it more now that it is hotter:).
oh yeah and how many times a week should we soak him? He's a baby.
-:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi TurleTortoise:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
TurleTortoise said:
Ok Thanks! We lowered the light and now the basking area is around 95 and the cool end is around 78. the bed a beast (coconut coir fiber) dries out on top but stays damp underneath. Should I mist or make part of the top damp? He doesnt burrow at all and i'm not sure if thats normal not normal or what. He seems to like it more now that it is hotter:).
oh yeah and how many times a week should we soak him? He's a baby.
-:tort:

The misting down is up to the owner, some do and some don't, mine are outside so I never mist,
If he is a hatchling then it is normal for him to to burrow just yet, with a baby I would soak 3/4 times a week for 15/20 mins each time..

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.