Questions, Questions,Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaciethetortoiselover

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I am new to this site and am excited to have reliable sources some on google are not very good! Okay first of all I don't have my sulcata yet I will in June! But is there any plants they shouldn't eat? How big should their ideal enclosure be?how often should you bath them them?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome ....the enclosure is going to depend on how big your sulcata is going to be..

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Welcome to the forum! :)

Will you be getting a hatchling or adult? I ask because it effects the type of enclosure you'll need. Sulcatas do not need to be bathed, but hatchlings will need to be soaked in a shallow dish of warm water regularly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Please read the threads in my signature.

To answer your specific questions:
1. Yes. There are lots of plants they shouldn't eat.
2. The bigger the better. I'd say 2x4' as a minimum for a tiny hatchling, but that won't last very long if all goes well. I like as much space as possible for adults. Mine are in a 7000 sq. ft. enclosure, and I feel like its too small and restrictive. Sulcatas are a very active species and need a lot of room to roam.
3. Like Shelly said, they don't need to be bathed. Hatchlings should be soaked every day for the first six months or so.

Be careful where you get your baby. Many breeders still use old methods and keep babies far too dry. After reading the threads below, you will know what questions to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.