Hello from Pax and I!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Void1878

5 Year Member
I have loved turtles and tortoises especially, my whole life and have recently gotten my first tort. He is a six month old Sulcata named Pax. I want to take as best care of him as possible and hope that this forum will help me do so. Some of my initial questions are:
How often should he eat?
How often should I dust his food with calcium and vitamin D3?
How often should I soak him and for how long?
How often and for how long should his UVA/UVB/heat/light bulb be on?
How often should he be in an outside habitat and for how long?

These are my biggest questions right now and I really hope someone can help me with them so I can give Pax everything he needs.

-Void1878

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Void1878:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

There are a couple pretty good threads on how to raise healthy hatchlings in the Sulcata section.

Void1878

5 Year Member
Emy,

My name is Matthew and I live in Louisiana. If you have any insight to my above questions please let me know. I understand there are many great forums on here about raising young hatchlings but I am also looking for answers to those specific questions. If you can answer them or can direct me to a forum(s) with the answers to those questions I would be very grateful. Also thanks for the welcome.

Void1878

5 Year Member
Also, is there a problem to having half sand substrate half alfalfa pellets? His water bowl is in there and sometimes he gets wet then gets in the sand and tracks clumps of sand everywhere, including back into the water bowl. Is this a problem?

Void1878

5 Year Member
I desperately want these questions answered, please.

I have loved turtles and tortoises especially, my whole life and have recently gotten my first tort. He is a six month old Sulcata named Pax. I want to take as best care of him as possible and hope that this forum will help me do so. Some of my initial questions are:
How often should he eat?
How often should I dust his food with calcium and vitamin D3?
How often should I soak him and for how long?
How often and for how long should his UVA/UVB/heat/light bulb be on?
How often should he be in an outside habitat and for how long?

These are my biggest questions right now and I really hope someone can help me with them so I can give Pax everything he needs.

-Void1878

Also, is there a problem to having half sand substrate half alfalfa pellets? His water bowl is in there and sometimes he gets wet then gets in the sand and tracks clumps of sand everywhere, including back into the water bowl. Is this a problem?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome....
sand and pellets are both not a good idea.. sand can cause impaction when eaten.. pellets mold when they get wet,
feed daily,, spring mix salad is a great start.. sprinkle with calcium3-4 times week.. people will vary with the answer.. if he goes outside,, he does Not need D3 in the powder.. he gets it from the sun... if its a safe outdoor enclosure.. he should/could live out there... if not.. then make it safe,, and 2-3 hours a day.
There are no single answers to your questions... it varies greatly but where you live etc...
Read the sulcata section.. and the links you will get on how to raise... you will learn a lot of other stuff too. things you didnt even know you didnt know about.. and didnt know to ask... like type of diet and Humidty..

Void1878

5 Year Member
The sand is from Zoo Med and says: it is excellent for desert torts, fortified with vitamins and beta caratine, does not contain fat soluable vitamins, ultra fine grade to prevent impaction, no artificial colors or sealers. The pellets are pelleted wheat straw. If I should'nt use either of these, what should I use? People have been telling me to use coco coir but wouldn't this hold too much humidity for a desert tort?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello and welcome:D:D Here is one of my favorite websites.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?mode=cl&col=all
Alao check out Tom's thread http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?mode=cl&col=all

laramie said:

Status
Not open for further replies.