New Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesusdancer9

5 Year Member
I am getting a tortoise for the first time! I am so excited but I have a few questions. What kind of material should the enclosure be (glass, wood etc.)? What temp should it be in the enclosure and how do I achieve the right temp with the heat lamp?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, jesusdancer9!

In my opinion, all turtles and tortoises should be set up outside in safe habitats. If you're getting a larger steppe tortoise, and not a baby, then for sure it should be outside. In this case, the native soil is fine, and walls of either brick or wood are fine. You just have to cap the corners, because they are great climbers.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME.:D. Giving you a bump. Let us k ow more about the age of the tort and someone can give you more enclosure ideas.

jesusdancer9

5 Year Member
Thanks for your willingness to help you guys! She is a young russian tortoise (I am not sure the exact age, but right now she ia baby). I know some people say that russian tortoises get big, but others say they stay 8-10 inches...I have never had one so I don't know what to believe. I live in PA and the weather is pretty fair, what should the temps of her enclosure be kept at?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Russians are on of the smaller species commercially available. Males grow 4 to 6 inches, females get large about 8 to 10 inches or so.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
You should have four temperatures, ambient (overall), basking side, night temps, and "cool" side. My Russian is currently outside from 730-9pm in an 8x5 enclosure. So I let the day time do its temperature changes (which range from 80-100). Under a basking lamp should be between 95-105, "cool" side shouldn't be under 85-90, night time (depending on if it is an adult, my case mine is) shouldn't reach below 70, and ambient 85-95.
There are MANY threads that explain the basics that you need for your tortoise to live a long, healthy life. You came to the right place! Read awwwwwaaaaay!

Status
Not open for further replies.