Questions on a indoor winter enclosure

coledoug1

5 Year Member
I am in the process of planning my new enclosure for my sulcata Tortous. I would like to have a glass front that I can open and have access to this enclosure. Will a glass front create problems for this sulcata? All other sides including roof will be secure and solid. I will have all my lighting and heat source inside. Thank you for your thoughts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Put a lip on the bottom to hold in substrate, and the glass doors will work great.

I've done a 2x4 in the past which gives a 3.5" lip, but I just made my current one with a 5.5" lip so I can use deeper substrate.

coledoug1

5 Year Member
I have two hatchlings. They are going to be in separate areas. The total enclosure is going to be 42" x 5.5'. I would like to build this to last me at least 10 years. Do you think these dimensions are large enough? This is about the maximum space that I can handle. A glass front that I can open, all other sides will be secure including roof. Heat source and all UV lighting will be inside. This will be an insulated environment as well.

coledoug1

5 Year Member
Yes I was going to have a 6 inch lip lined with a pond liner so all moisture will not effect actual enclosure. My question about the glass front was because I felt the tortous would constantly try to climb out being he can see what's going on on the outside. And never be content with his home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I was going to have a 6 inch lip lined with a pond liner so all moisture will not effect actual enclosure. My question about the glass front was because I felt the tortous would constantly try to climb out being he can see what's going on on the outside. And never be content with his home.

This has never been a problem for me and many others who have been using glass tanks for decades. I see it written on websites and care sheets, but I can't see why people have any issues. I've been using glass fronted closed chambers for decades. No problems with the tortoises try to climb out because they can see out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have two hatchlings. They are going to be in separate areas. The total enclosure is going to be 42" x 5.5'. I would like to build this to last me at least 10 years. Do you think these dimensions are large enough? This is about the maximum space that I can handle. A glass front that I can open, all other sides will be secure including roof. Heat source and all UV lighting will be inside. This will be an insulated environment as well.

42x33" is fine for a hatchling only. Any normal sulcata will outgrow that in 6 months or less. If you build a 4x8' closed chamber, it might last your sulcata for two years if he is a slow grower. Problem is that once you have them in the stable ideal conditions offered by a closed chamber, most of them are not slow growers any more.

In 10 year your tortoise will be 24-30" long and around 60-100 pounds depending on sex. So no, that enclosure might still be in good shape in 10 years, but your current tortoises are not going to fit in it.

coledoug1

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for your answers. I'm not so sure how fast these turtles grow in a ten-year period. Am I being unrealistic to keep this winter enclosure at this size?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Every tortoise grows differently, but Tom is very right. This won't last you 10 years, but you'll get some use out of it for one at least.

coledoug1

5 Year Member
I am very sorry to say that one of my hatchlings just passed away. The other one that we spoke about seems to be doing very good. My concern is that it is not gaining much weight. Still hovering anywhere from 44 g to 48 g. I purchased him December 27 I believe. He has been fairly active and eats every day an assortment of foods that are all on the care sheet. I soak him anywhere from 2–3 times per day.