Indoor Enclosure Size

SiaraEA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
My sulcata, Bonnie is about 4 inches long. I'm planning on building her an enclosure within the next few weeks to prepare for the upcoming fall and winter months. My question is would a 4x3 or 4x4 be an acceptable size? She's currently in an 8x8 outdoor enclosure during the day, so i'm just wondering if either of those sizes will be okay for a few months.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
My sulcata, Bonnie is about 4 inches long. I'm planning on building her an enclosure within the next few weeks to prepare for the upcoming fall and winter months. My question is would a 4x3 or 4x4 be an acceptable size? She's currently in an 8x8 outdoor enclosure during the day, so i'm just wondering if either of those sizes will be okay for a few months.

Where do you live?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think those are too small. The tortoise isn't going to drop dead if the enclosure is one millimeter too small, but they need space to roam around in their enclosure. Also, a small sulcata can grow surprisingly fast when things are done correctly. While 4x4 feet might be okay for the moment, it won't be okay by the end of winter when your tortoise is significantly larger. I like a 4x8' closed chamber enclosure for young ones indoors.