Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguys4

5 Year Member
One of my big guys is a little sluggish. No signs of illness no watery eyes,nose no diarrhea just not acting like himself . Appetite down a little not running around like normal . Question I think I read some where in a thread u can add a little salt to their soak don't remember y but is that better for hydration . Gonna soak him today ?

bigguys4

5 Year Member
He doesn't hibernate. I'm in southern california and its 80 degrees out . Everyone else is out enjoying the sun.

bigguys4

5 Year Member
Laura said:
possibly ate somthing bad..or wrong.
that soak is posted somewhere.. its electrolytes in water..

Thanks I'll try searching for it

Also I soak them once a week for 20 minutes is that enough?

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Try a soak, and what are your temps in the enclosure, basking, cool side,?

bigguys4

5 Year Member
80 degrees in night time enclosure . Southern california we have been in high 70 here during day

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
On some of these warm days that we have had here is SoCal recently my guy will stay in and sleep all day. Of course I expect him to be active and grazing. He is outside, he just stays in his night box. He was pretty active on Sunday (high 80's), but not nearly to the level he is during the summer. I offer him food, he always has water available, and I do soak him several times a week. Personally, I would not add salt to his soak. It may be okay, I am just not familiar with that being done.

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
"One of my big guys is a little sluggish."
How big are we talking about here?

bigguys4 said:
80 degrees in night time enclosure . Southern california we have been in high 70 here during day

80 degrees at night is pretty hot - they need to cool down some at night - my outside sulcata houses are kept in the low 60's overnight and they all come out during the day unless it is raining, which we have not had much of that this year in S. CA. My inside tortoise tables (year olds) are kept above 65 but below 69 degrees overnight and they are happy when we put their PowerSun on in the morning. Their direct hot spot is 93/94 during the day and that is their dampest spot - cooler area of the table in the low 70's.

I would really watch for something he may have eaten. Can you monitor his poop? It is hard to do when you have a bunch but if he is stopped up from something he ate that will slow them down. If he is really big forced soakings can be really hard but a soaking can help move things along if he is stopped up.

Just trying to brainstorm here and see if anything clicks for you. You are with him so you know your tortoise best. Keep us posted.

bigguys4

5 Year Member
Thanks I turned down the night heat soaked him and he seems to be doing better poops are normal . It seems to have resolved.i still soak them even as big as they are in a little kids pool .

tortoiselady said:
"One of my big guys is a little sluggish."
How big are we talking about here?

80 degrees at night is pretty hot - they need to cool down some at night - my outside sulcata houses are kept in the low 60's overnight and they all come out during the day unless it is raining, which we have not had much of that this year in S. CA. My inside tortoise tables (year olds) are kept above 65 but below 69 degrees overnight and they are happy when we put their PowerSun on in the morning. Their direct hot spot is 93/94 during the day and that is their dampest spot - cooler area of the table in the low 70's.

I would really watch for something he may have eaten. Can you monitor his poop? It is hard to do when you have a bunch but if he is stopped up from something he ate that will slow them down. If he is really big forced soakings can be really hard but a soaking can help move things along if he is stopped up.

Just trying to brainstorm here and see if anything clicks for you. You are with him so you know your tortoise best. Keep us posted.

Sorry missed the question how big he's a little over 90 pounds

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
bigguys4 said:
Thanks I turned down the night heat soaked him and he seems to be doing better poops are normal . It seems to have resolved.i still soak them even as big as they are in a little kids pool .

Sorry missed the question how big he's a little over 90 pounds

That is great news!

Status
Not open for further replies.