First vet visit

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi guys, we’re taking our red foot to her first vet visit tomorrow due to a potential RI, see my thread below for details on her symptoms

Ultimately I just want to know what red flags to look out for they might offer her treatment wise? I’m already aware to avoid vitamin injections.
But if after describing her symptoms and providing details on her set up etc, if they’re to try and diagnose/give medication without any tests, should I encourage her owners to refuse?
They’ve already said they’d rather not stress her with multiple journeys which is understandable, but I’m unsure what test could be done on the day to give results immediately for an RI? I presumed she’d need bloods for something like that but I doubt we’d have the results the same day. Are antibiotics administered through injection for tortoise? Or is there anyway we can request medication to be prescribed once results are in without having to take her back?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi guys, we’re taking our red foot to her first vet visit tomorrow due to a potential RI, see my thread below for details on her symptoms

Ultimately I just want to know what red flags to look out for they might offer her treatment wise? I’m already aware to avoid vitamin injections.
But if after describing her symptoms and providing details on her set up etc, if they’re to try and diagnose/give medication without any tests, should I encourage her owners to refuse?
They’ve already said they’d rather not stress her with multiple journeys which is understandable, but I’m unsure what test could be done on the day to give results immediately for an RI? I presumed she’d need bloods for something like that but I doubt we’d have the results the same day. Are antibiotics administered through injection for tortoise? Or is there anyway we can request medication to be prescribed once results are in without having to take her back?
Tortoises should normally be given injectable antibiotics which are preferable to oral ones because the correct dosage can be much more accurately administered. Hoping a tortoise will eat or drink anything with antibiotic powder on it or dissolved in it, is a highly inaccurate way to administer antibiotics.

I would not allow any injection of Baytril (an outdated antibiotic still used for many tortoises by less knowledgeable vets). If an antibiotic is recommended, tell them you want them to inject ceftazidime (Fortaz).

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Tortoises should normally be given injectable antibiotics which are preferable to oral ones because the correct dosage can be much more accurately administered. Hoping a tortoise will eat or drink anything with antibiotic powder on it or dissolved in it, is a highly inaccurate way to administer antibiotics.

I would not allow any injection of Baytril (an outdated antibiotic still used for many tortoises by less knowledgeable vets). If an antibiotic is recommended, tell them you want them to inject ceftazidime (Fortaz).
Ok good to know, thank you very much for your response, should I be concerned if they agree to give a dose of fortaz without running a blood test? Or could they pick an RI up on another immediate test? Or will a dose not hurt her?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ok good to know, thank you very much for your response, should I be concerned if they agree to give a dose of fortaz without running a blood test? Or could they pick an RI up on another immediate test? Or will a dose not hurt her?
Many vets will give antibiotics without doing cultures. If I thought my tortoise had an RI, I would go ahead and try the Fortaz without the tests. Note that the tortoise will need several doses of it 2-3 days apart. Severe infections = give it every other day; less severe infections = give it every third day. About 5-6 doses are usually sufficient.

You can get the first dose at the vet and it will begin working while the test results are being processed. If it turns out the organism is not sensitive to Fortaz from the tests, no further doses of it would be given and a different antibiotic might be needed instead.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Many vets will give antibiotics without doing cultures. If I thought my tortoise had an RI, I would go ahead and try the Fortaz without the tests. Note that the tortoise will need several doses of it 2-3 days apart. Severe infections = give it every other day; less severe infections = give it every third day. About 5-6 doses are usually sufficient.

You can get the first dose at the vet and it will begin working while the test results are being processed. If it turns out the organism is not sensitive to Fortaz from the tests, no further doses of it would be given and a different antibiotic might be needed instead.
I don’t think my family are willing to take her on multiple hour journeys, 5-6 journeys would beyond stress her so im unsure what I can let them offer tbh😔it’s a tricky situation, the vet isn’t that close

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I don’t think my family are willing to take her on multiple hour journeys, 5-6 journeys would beyond stress her so im unsure what I can let them offer tbh😔it’s a tricky situation, the vet isn’t that close
Ask the vet to show and explain how to make injections so you can do that at home.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Very pleased to give a positive update, for anyone interested who comes across this thread please check out the last page of the thread I attached here🥰
The vet was brilliant! Honestly couldn’t have asked for better, she had every green flag going! Said she’d never use baytril or ever give vitamin injections to a tortoise, she seemed to bring up all the common red flags vets have when it comes to tortoise care before i could even bring them all up myself! Very impressed!! If anyone in the UK is curious, the vet we’ve used is called Chipping Norton veterinary hospital, the exotic vet is called Natalie, she was great😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wouldn’t injecting her at home be super risky😣
I'm glad it all went well. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Almost all of us over here give injections to our tortoises when necessary. Its common and with some brief instruction from a knowledgable vet, its not risky or dangerous at all.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I'm glad it all went well. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Almost all of us over here give injections to our tortoises when necessary. Its common and with some brief instruction from a knowledgable vet, its not risky or dangerous at all.
This is really reassuring to know, as long as the vet shows me I won’t mind having to do it should she not improve, all seems to be going in the right direction though so fingers crossed😊hopefully her sample will come back clear too🤞🏻