Do Sulcata get colds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I know they are susceptible to RI, but do they get something like what we call a "common cold"? My yearling has been a little bit sluggish as of late. Not as active and not eating as much as I think he should be. He as made a few sneezing sounds and I think his nose may be running, but no bubbles and it is not steady. His eyes are clear, he does eat, drink, poop, and when I took him outside today he was a non-stop explorer.

Could he have a cold? Is it the beginning of something worse? What should I look for and how should I treat this? Help, please.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yes.. colds ARE URI...
they can sometimes fight them off, or they will need help. They can be deadly...

increase the heat.. if eating and active.. watch closely..

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No tortoises don't get "colds" :p Colds in humans are viral and not an infection. When a tortoise gets a runny nose it's because of a bacterial infection (thats why we give antibiotics :))

Danny

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Warm him up to 85 round the clock for at least a couple of weeks.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I do not think human strains and reptile strains are interchangable.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Tom said:

Thanks, Tom. I will keep the temps up and watch him closely. Just in case, I will be looking for a Vet in the San Diego area. If anyone has a recommendation please let me know.

Will it be okay to take him outside? We are having Spring like weather for the next couple of days.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not real good on geography, so I don't know if this vet is close to you or not. This is a VERY good tortoise vet:

Greg Haskell DVM
7126 Hollister Ave
Goleta, CA 93117
(805) 685-4513

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dizisdalife said:
Tom said:

Thanks, Tom. I will keep the temps up and watch him closely. Just in case, I will be looking for a Vet in the San Diego area. If anyone has a recommendation please let me know.

Will it be okay to take him outside? We are having Spring like weather for the next couple of days.

Sun is always good. Just don't let him get cold.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Try the Vet list they have here. I found my recent Vet on there and I think she may be a keeper.
Here ... only 2 I found in your area. Dont know how current they are but call and see.

Thomas H. Boyer, DVM
Pet Hospital of Penasquitos
9888 Carmel Mt. Road, Suite F
San Diego, CA 92129
Tel: (858) 484-3490
Fax: (858) 484-3499

Jeffrey R Jenkins, DVM, ABVP (Avian)
Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital
2317 Hotel Circle South Suite C
San Diego, California 92108-3310
Tel: (619) 260-1412
Fax: (619) 260-1499

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Today the nasal discharge got worse and his wheezing got worse with it. I took Chuck to the Vet. Great visit. Other than the URI this tort is in great shape. I was given antibiotics to inject (not too fond of that, but I can manage) and nose drops. Chuck conveniently pooped while we were there so the Vet will be able to checking for parasites.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Dizisdalife said:
Today the nasal discharge got worse and his wheezing got worse with it. I took Chuck to the Vet. Great visit. Other than the URI this tort is in great shape. I was given antibiotics to inject (not too fond of that, but I can manage) and nose drops. Chuck conveniently pooped while we were there so the Vet will be able to checking for parasites.

How big is Chuck? what nose drops did you get?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
coreyc said:
Dizisdalife said:

How big is Chuck? what nose drops did you get?

Chuck is about 2.75 inches long and weighs 107 grams. The nose drops are Neo/Poly/Gram Opthalmic Solution. I hope he gets better soon.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
[/quote]

I hope he gets better soon.
[/quote]

So do I .... will keep the little fella in my thoughts and say a little prayer for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.