Question on running the portable oil radiator ? Help

Pia B

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi everyone

What setting do you all set your radiator to ??. Mine has just a dial low to high with a internal temperature gauge the unit is plugged into the 1000 watt Zilla Temperature controller . I am a little unsure if I should turn the radiator on low or high . It's my tortoise first night in the box I have a camera on him and a temp /humidity reader in the box . I am un- easy about the radiator setting . This is the radiator I got https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MXEDAV2/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Thank you

Pia

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mine has a 600 and a 1200 watt setting. I keep them on the 600 watt setting and dial it up all the way. But the only way to know what to do in your own situation is to go out there after its been running for a while, during the coldest part of the night, and check the ambient temperature in the shelter.

Pia B

Massachusetts
Mine has a 600 and a 1200 watt setting. I keep them on the 600 watt setting and dial it up all the way. But the only way to know what to do in your own situation is to go out there after its been running for a while, during the coldest part of the night, and check the ambient temperature in the shelter.
mine is 700 watts yeah I been checking on him Thank you for your reply

Pia B

Massachusetts
just went to check on him he temp is at 82 F :) I think I will need more time then him adjusting to the new digs :) can't see the temp on the cam screen drives me nuts it's only a baby monitor .

23131833_190217191549784_3566501188908206731_n.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
just went to check on him he temp is at 82 F :) I think I will need more time then him adjusting to the new digs :) can't see the temp on the cam screen drives me nuts it's only a baby monitor .

23131833_190217191549784_3566501188908206731_n.jpg
I'm happy my tort's box is right next to a French door. I can look out and see the temperature on the temperature controller without having to step outside.

Pia B

Massachusetts
I'm happy my tort's box is right next to a French door. I can look out and see the temperature on the temperature controller without having to step outside.
you have your controller outside the box ? or a outdoor thermometer with reader probe inside box ??

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

Pia B

Massachusetts

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone

What setting do you all set your radiator to ??. Mine has just a dial low to high with a internal temperature gauge the unit is plugged into the 1000 watt Zilla Temperature controller . I am a little unsure if I should turn the radiator on low or high . It's my tortoise first night in the box I have a camera on him and a temp /humidity reader in the box . I am un- easy about the radiator setting . This is the radiator I got https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MXEDAV2/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Thank you

Pia

Set the heater on the lowest setting, if there is an option besides "On/Off", and set the thermostat dial on the heater about 80-90% towards the highest setting. This can still function as a failsafe, if your ZooMed thermostat ever failed and got stuck on, but the factory thermostat on your heater isn't accurate enough to trust on its own. I keep my ZooMed thermostat units inside a ziplock baggie that is inside a shoe box that is mounted to the wall. I dangle the thermostat's probe outside the shoe box on the cooler side away from the heating elements , but not touching the wall. Kind of like this except I haven't put the baggie on yet and I've got the probe going out the other side:
IMG_3499.JPG

Pia B

Massachusetts
Set the heater on the lowest setting, if there is an option besides "On/Off", and set the thermostat dial on the heater about 80-90% towards the highest setting. This can still function as a failsafe, if your ZooMed thermostat ever failed and got stuck on, but the factory thermostat on your heater isn't accurate enough to trust on its own. I keep my ZooMed thermostat units inside a ziplock baggie that is inside a shoe box that is mounted to the wall. I dangle the thermostat's probe outside the shoe box on the cooler side away from the heating elements , but not touching the wall. Kind of like this except I haven't put the baggie on yet and I've got the probe going out the other side:
View attachment 222130
It does have a thermostat by turning the unit down til light goes off once temp is reached. It will then cycle and turn on when temp drops . I went back out earlier and turned it down I had it set to high . I will place the controller in a zip lock tomorrow . Right now temp is at 84 F .(12:45 am )
here a link you can see the setup inside I taped the probe so it is a little higher then you see in the video . I used all of your recommendations . Thank you so much Tom for all your help .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It does have a thermostat by turning the unit down til light goes off once temp is reached. It will then cycle and turn on when temp drops . I went back out earlier and turned it down I had it set to high . I will place the controller in a zip lock tomorrow . Right now temp is at 84 F .(12:45 am )
here a link you can see the setup inside I taped the probe so it is a little higher then you see in the video . I used all of your recommendations . Thank you so much Tom for all your help .

Some questions:
  1. Which light are we talking about that goes off when the temp is reached? On the heater, or on the ZooMed Thermostat? Should be the ZooMed thermostat. The dial on the heater should be turned most of the way up.
  2. What is that on the floor? It looks like a radiant heat panel. If it is, it can't be mounted on the floor and they should't have contact with it. My apologies if I'm wrong on that.
  3. If it is a heat mat that is meant to be on the floor, then you shouldn't have that substrate in the box. Its a fire hazard. The only thing I use in conjunction with a heat mat is some plain old regular dry dirt to absorb liquid and poo, and make it a little easier to scrape up and clean the floor of the box, but I do my best to keep the dirt and everything else off the surface of the heat mat.
Looks like a great set up! :) If we had a thumbs up emoji, I'd use it.

Pia B

Massachusetts
Some questions:
  1. Which light are we talking about that goes off when the temp is reached? On the heater, or on the ZooMed Thermostat? Should be the ZooMed thermostat. The dial on the heater should be turned most of the way up. My reply was to your question if it has a thermostat and I explained it has an internal one and to set it is to have the room heated to the desired temp then unit is turned down . The light is on on the zoo med ( the heater is plugged into the controller )
  2. What is that on the floor? It looks like a radiant heat panel. If it is, it can't be mounted on the floor and they should't have contact with it. My apologies if I'm wrong on that. It is a heat pad made for dogs he have used it for many years it gets warm but not hot
  3. If it is a heat mat that is meant to be on the floor, then you shouldn't have that substrate in the box. Its a fire hazard. The only thing I use in conjunction with a heat mat is some plain old regular dry dirt to absorb liquid and poo, and make it a little easier to scrape up and clean the floor of the box, but I do my best to keep the dirt and everything else off the surface of the heat mat. The pad when used with dogs can have a fleece cover on it . I lined it with newspaper once for quick clean up . Thank you though for the mention it could have been bad and by mentioning is better safe then sorry !
Looks like a great set up! :) If we had a thumbs up emoji, I'd use it.
Thank you sir well it's all your design :) Exception is it's 4x6 and I used the 3 inch insulation :) aw wait I should post a picture :) The door is to wide for him right now but only wanted to do this once :) pic is after we put it in place no wind shielding material in door opening yet
23244511_190107381560765_4322820861902283968_n.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I have something like that but I'm not using it for Charlie's house. I use it just to see what the outside temps are and the temps in my house. If his house wasn't in a place where I could easily see his thermostat then I would consider using it for him.

Since my box is on my porch under an overhang and protected from rain, I have the luxury of being able to keep his thermostat on the outside of his house where it is easy to see.

Pia B

Massachusetts
Good Morning :) It was 93F in his house this morning it was a mild night so I am thinking of leaving the heat pad off and giving that a try tonight . I think if I could regulate it to about 80F-85 that would be ideal . Gotta play with it , to find the right settings . I don't think he looked to happy being that hot . He figured out to go through the wind barrier strips :) He got scared when I poked my head in this morning , silly tortoise . He drank and now he walking about like king Tort of Africa :)

Pia B

Massachusetts
I have something like that but I'm not using it for Charlie's house. I use it just to see what the outside temps are and the temps in my house. If his house wasn't in a place where I could easily see his thermostat then I would consider using it for him.

Since my box is on my porch under an overhang and protected from rain, I have the luxury of being able to keep his thermostat on the outside of his house where it is easy to see.
Yeah pretty spiffy if you can see the temp without going outside :) I am going to pick another up today I can't stand not seeing the display on the cam screen . Eventually I get a better camera for his house .

Pia B

Massachusetts
so , on using his old heat pad in his night house for the first time because of the small space it raised the box to 93 F . Used it for years but never in such a compact and well insulated space so the pad will be a no go to use in the night box , unless I can plug it into a controller . I am thinking since the box is being heated by the radiator he doesn't need a heat mat ?