building night box and a room for my Sulcata

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How long do they last? Should I expect to replace my Kane after a number of years? I think I've used it at least 2 years and it has gotten wet and been washed and scrubbed many times.
I've got some that have been in use for 15 years. I've never had one stop working or wear out.

Bee62

Germany
I believe they have a built-in thermostat to prevent overheating. They are also very heavy plastic. The cord is wrapped in thick metal wire. They can handle the weight and abuse of a heavy messy tortoise without breaking or failing.
Thank you for your answer.:)

Pia B

Massachusetts
Be careful using MVBs or other heat lamps over large tortoises. What usually happens is the top of the carapace gets "slow-burned". I recommend using some thing else for heat once they are over about 12".

Tom, I ordered the oil filled radiator for the box also will be on a temp regulator you recommended and he will use his old plastic heat pad .

Pia B

Massachusetts
What kind of plastic heat pad? You mean like a Kane heat mat?

it is not a Kane it's hard plastic works real well I don't know the name of it anymore been like 10 years bought it for my whelping box but didn't like it for newborns . I don't have to worry about hay getting on it it will not get so hot to worry . I see if I find it online to link it . Once I get a temp gun I can tell you the exact temp it is . I have a cardboard box over it at night because he likes to go into something :)

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA

Might the hard plastic mat become too warm since it is not temperature controlled? The Kane mat has temperature control and turns off and on as needed. Mine works great and has been in use for years.

Pia B

Massachusetts
Might the hard plastic mat become too warm since it is not temperature controlled? The Kane mat has temperature control and turns off and on as needed. Mine works great and has been in use for years.
No used it for years for him it does not get to hot at all

Pia B

Massachusetts
here is a picture of his box almost done and before the opening was covered it is a 4x6
23244511_190107381560765_4322820861902283968_n.jpg

Pia B

Massachusetts
so now that he is in his night box he does not want to come out it is only his second day .Yesterday he was out with some help and I had to return him later in the day . Today he won't budge . I need to add a light on a timer in the box for day time being so dark in there perhaps that is why . He also decreased in food intake he ate yesterday because he was out of the box but today NOTHING . That is very much not like him he eats everyday perhaps he still needs to get used to it ... this tort has got be spinning lol

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
so now that he is in his night box he does not want to come out it is only his second day .Yesterday he was out with some help and I had to return him later in the day . Today he won't budge . I need to add a light on a timer in the box for day time being so dark in there perhaps that is why . He also decreased in food intake he ate yesterday because he was out of the box but today NOTHING . That is very much not like him he eats everyday perhaps he still needs to get used to it ... this tort has got be spinning lol
The only time I had trouble getting Charlie to come out was when he wasn't being kept warm. If he isn't eating, it seems like a temperature issue. Do you have a temperature gun? Can you check the temp of his carapace? Charlie came out this morning and it is only in the 50s. However, there are days when he doesn't come out until 2 pm. Maybe Speedbump hasn't figured out that his warm box will still be there when he comes back, so he is afraid to leave.

Pia B

Massachusetts
The only time I had trouble getting Charlie to come out was when he wasn't being kept warm. If he isn't eating, it seems like a temperature issue. Do you have a temperature gun? Can you check the temp of his carapace? Charlie came out this morning and it is only in the 50s. However, there are days when he doesn't come out until 2 pm. Maybe Speedbump hasn't figured out that his warm box will still be there when he comes back, so he is afraid to leave.
Got two thermometers in the night house both read 84F this am :) I also just ordered him a new heat pad that I can regulate with the temp controller . He does like to lay on a warm surface < not spoiled at all oh no :) > I think you right he hasn't figured out he can come and go . Got him a a light today that will be on a timer < rise and shine you big lug nut :) I am not used to him just laying around all day last time he did that is when he was housed down the basement and it was also dark except for his light, he did not like it at all . Reason I moved him years ago upstairs in the house . He is very interactive . He will if he is out of his pen line up with cat and dogs to get a treat it's hysterical ,he knows how to open doors if they are just a bit ajar :) Can ya tell I am missing him being in the house :) The night box is best for him but I won't use it all winter if I don't have his room done by then , I will move him back inside the house .

Pia B

Massachusetts
Speedbump is really liking his house he now finally goes out and back in, for a while I had to watch because he would not return to his house and I felt like a Vulture over a carcass watching over him :) He even went out and took a stroll in the snow . First time ever I see growth lines in winter sign that his winter housing is doing him good . Picture from 2 weeks ago . I like to add a greenhouse to the set up , next Speedbump project :)

Attachments

• growthline.jpg
    growthline.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 48

Pia B

Massachusetts
Speedbump taking a walk in the snow for the very first time in his life :) I was worried he will get frost bite on his toes . Best thing we did is build him that night box .

Attachments

• 25396281_202263633678473_942402342514412329_n.jpg
    25396281_202263633678473_942402342514412329_n.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 27