Oil radiator heater on thermostat?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
Im trying to get a plan together for a bigger outdoor enclosure. Just confused about having the heater on a reptile thermostat.
Can I use the reptomin thermostat with the probe? The one you would normally use with heat Mats and such.
Will an oil filled radiator do fine with cutting off every time the desired temperature is met, or will it tear it up.
I want to use the heater as the main source of heat and a Che for a hotspot.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

A

appoaaas

Does anyone have a link to more materials about the cutting oil?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im trying to get a plan together for a bigger outdoor enclosure. Just confused about having the heater on a reptile thermostat.
Can I use the reptomin thermostat with the probe? The one you would normally use with heat Mats and such.
Will an oil filled radiator do fine with cutting off every time the desired temperature is met, or will it tear it up.
I want to use the heater as the main source of heat and a Che for a hotspot.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
What wattage is the reptile thermostat you have rated for? If its 1000 watts or more, and you are running a mini radiant oil-filled heater, it should be fine. If the thermostat is not plugged directly into a wall outlet, be sure to use a heavy gauge (12 gauge) extension cord.

What species and size tortoise? I wouldn't use a CHE for a hot spot. If you want day time heat, use an incandescent flood bulb. If you want 24/7 heat in an outdoor box, then the oil heater alone should do it.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
What wattage is the reptile thermostat you have rated for? If its 1000 watts or more, and you are running a mini radiant oil-filled heater, it should be fine. If the thermostat is not plugged directly into a wall outlet, be sure to use a heavy gauge (12 gauge) extension cord.

What species and size tortoise? I wouldn't use a CHE for a hot spot. If you want day time heat, use an incandescent flood bulb. If you want 24/7 heat in an outdoor box, then the oil heater alone should do it.
Thanks for the reply Tom, I’ve already taken care of it. I posted this in March. Yeah I decided against the Che, I have a oil filled heater on a thermostat, and using a heat Matt on a separate thermostat.
I’ve got a male Sulcata, about 13 inches and around 15 lbs.
thanks again for the reply

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the reply Tom, I’ve already taken care of it. I posted this in March. Yeah I decided against the Che, I have a oil filled heater on a thermostat, and using a heat Matt on a separate thermostat.
I’ve got a male Sulcata, about 13 inches and around 15 lbs.
thanks again for the reply
Oh man. I'm sorry about that. I saw the date on post number two here, but didn't look at the date on the original post.

Sorry I didn't see this post a year and a half ago. :)

A

appoaaas

Does anyone have a link to more materials about the cutting oil? I am looking at local forums, and I am from https://worldpostalcode.com/united-states/minnesota/minneapolis, and cannot find anything. Maybe it has other names? Possibly it can be found in a different way. Tell me which sites can contain the necessary content. Thanks a lot in advance for your responses.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Does anyone have a link to more materials about the cutting oil? I am looking at local forums, and I am from https://worldpostalcode.com/united-states/minnesota/minneapolis, and cannot find anything. Maybe it has other names? Possibly it can be found in a different way. Tell me which sites can contain the necessary content. Thanks a lot in advance for your responses.
Try looking for "oil filled heater" or " oil filled radiator" in your search.
It's a closed system.
You're not looking for a type of fuel source or heating oil.