building night box and a room for my Sulcata

Pia B

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi

I am new to the forum been reading a lot ! Thank you to all who have shared so much information . I came to realized I kept him to cool for the past years followed some advice that I now know was inaccurate but that is now changed . I was going to build for next year. I am starting this week with a night box to keep my shelled friend outdoors longer . He at this time is in the house at night and only out side during the day or when weather permits . We are having a very warm October so far .I think I got the night box all figured out going to use his heated pad he has and a small oil filled radiator set on a Zilla temp controller. He won't be able to stay out all winter and after reading in the forum , instead of moving him in the house I can use part of my outdoor building it already is insulated also gets heated because some of my dogs sleep in there but the dogs don't get the heat turned on until it gets fairly cold out . I have a 10x10 space within the building I like to turn into a winter room for Speedbump . The walls high enough for me to stand in insulated and heated on it's own by a oil filled radiator. My question is lighting and and what temp I should keep the room in . I was thinking the room around 70 with the Zoo Med 160 watt Powersun UVB heat bulb as a hot spot on a timer and for day use . He will have his night box moved into the room kept at around 85 ish ? . Or should I use a UV strip light instead of the powersun ? because I am using the radiator for heat ? I am torn if I should just skip his outdoor night box ( heavy to move but doable ) and heat the room to 85 ish ? he does like to go into something in the house he has a box over his heat pad . I can make him a box just for the room . I like to avoid mistakes reason for posting and asking for suggestions . His pic is my avatar :)

TIA

Bass.Isles

Hi

I am new to the forum been reading a lot ! Thank you to all who have shared so much information . I came to realized I kept him to cool for the past years followed some advice that I now know was inaccurate but that is now changed . I was going to build for next year. I am starting this week with a night box to keep my shelled friend outdoors longer . He at this time is in the house at night and only out side during the day or when weather permits . We are having a very warm October so far .I think I got the night box all figured out going to use his heated pad he has and a small oil filled radiator set on a Zilla temp controller. He won't be able to stay out all winter and after reading in the forum , instead of moving him in the house I can use part of my outdoor building it already is insulated also gets heated because some of my dogs sleep in there but the dogs don't get the heat turned on until it gets fairly cold out . I have a 10x10 space within the building I like to turn into a winter room for Speedbump . The walls high enough for me to stand in insulated and heated on it's own by a oil filled radiator. My question is lighting and and what temp I should keep the room in . I was thinking the room around 70 with the Zoo Med 160 watt Powersun UVB heat bulb as a hot spot on a timer and for day use . He will have his night box moved into the room kept at around 85 ish ? . Or should I use a UV strip light instead of the powersun ? because I am using the radiator for heat ? I am torn if I should just skip his outdoor night box ( heavy to move but doable ) and heat the room to 85 ish ? he does like to go into something in the house he has a box over his heat pad . I can make him a box just for the room . I like to avoid mistakes reason for posting and asking for suggestions . His pic is my avatar :)

TIA
What size/age is your tort?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think your idea sounds good. I would use the hide box, whether you move the one he has or build another one. I would also use the PowerSun UVB as he needs to bask under 95-100 heat source to properly digest his food.
Be sure the dogs will not be able to get into the torts area, they will use him as a chew toy.

Pia B

Massachusetts
Thank you for your response Wellington . The dogs are used to him ,when he roams the yard no one bothers him exception the new 12 week old pup . Speedbump lines up in the kitchen for a treat with the dogs and the cat a sight to see :) I let him roam the house in winter for exercise :) To bad can't post the video I filmed it once :) OK I go with the powersun and the radiator :) I am getting excited for this room Going to place some plants in it that he can eat . Getting another opuntia cactus but spineless this time !

Bass.Isles

He is 17 years old top shell lenght about 17 inches he around 35# . He a tad on the small size I guess
Well, from all that i've read and experienced with mine, they grow at greatly varied rates. Mine is 27 months old and has just broken the 1 lb mark! but she is healthy and happy. What exactly do you mean by "top shell length"? Are you measuring him over the top of his carapice?

Pia B

Massachusetts
and construction has begun :) this night box will be a 6x4x2 .

Attachments

• 22491561_10215186500362673_8678844329716764842_n.jpg
    22491561_10215186500362673_8678844329716764842_n.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 85

Pia B

Massachusetts
Well, from all that i've read and experienced with mine, they grow at greatly varied rates. Mine is 27 months old and has just broken the 1 lb mark! but she is healthy and happy. What exactly do you mean by "top shell length"? Are you measuring him over the top of his carapice?

typo I meant the bottom :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Be careful using MVBs or other heat lamps over large tortoises. What usually happens is the top of the carapace gets "slow-burned". I recommend using some thing else for heat once they are over about 12".

Bee62

Germany
Be careful using MVBs or other heat lamps over large tortoises. What usually happens is the top of the carapace gets "slow-burned". I recommend using some thing else for heat once they are over about 12".
What do you use for large tortoises for heat ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What do you use for large tortoises for heat ?

In my single tort 4x4' boxes, I use an 18x28" Kane heat mat on bottom and a 21x12" RHP from Reptile Basics on top. One thermostat controls them both.

In my larger 4x8' tortoise boxes, I use an oil filled radiant heater, also controlled by a separate thermostat.

Bee62

Germany
In my single tort 4x4' boxes, I use an 18x28" Kane heat mat on bottom and a 21x12" RHP from Reptile Basics on top. One thermostat controls them both.

In my larger 4x8' tortoise boxes, I use an oil filled radiant heater, also controlled by a separate thermostat.
Thank you, but I thought that heat mats are not good for tortoises, when the heat comes from below.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, but I thought that heat mats are not good for tortoises, when the heat comes from below.

Undertank stick-on heat mats for aquariums, and hot rocks are not good. Burn potential is high. Kane mats and Stansfield farrowing mats have proven to be safe, reliable and effective for large tortoises. I actually tried the Kane mats on babies too and they worked well.

Bee62

Germany
Undertank stick-on heat mats for aquariums, and hot rocks are not good. Burn potential is high. Kane mats and Stansfield farrowing mats have proven to be safe, reliable and effective for large tortoises. I actually tried the Kane mats on babies too and they worked well.
What makes the difference between Kane mats and normal heat pads ?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
What makes the difference between Kane mats and normal heat pads ?
I believe they have a built-in thermostat to prevent overheating. They are also very heavy plastic. The cord is wrapped in thick metal wire. They can handle the weight and abuse of a heavy messy tortoise without breaking or failing.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
How long do they last? Should I expect to replace my Kane after a number of years? I think I've used it at least 2 years and it has gotten wet and been washed and scrubbed many times.