question about burrowing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Hudson has taken to burrowing into his substrate so deep he is completely submerged. How can he breathe like that?? Is this a response to the cooler fall temperatures? Please advise thanks.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Russian's love to completely burrow like that :) I asked this question recently too :p But he'll be fine and he can breath ;)

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
Oohhh thanks!! No wonder he seemed so peeved when i kept pulling him out lol.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
Laura said:
he could be starting to slow down.. is he eating? do you keep the temps up? lights?

Yes i think he is too. His eating is finicky but seems otherwise healthy. His lights are the same. Day light at 100 watts night at 75. My heat has been on between 65 and 72 depending on weather. I will be getting a space heater for the other side of my apt as his tank is far from heating vent. Anything else i should know or do?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like your temps are OK. You can keep lights on 12-14 hours. Basking area 95-100F. Night temps can go into the 60's, with your house temps, no night heating needed.
It's OK if they slow down a bit over winter, as long as they go into it healthy.
You can feed them less often, every 2-3 days, and still soak them. They just won't be as active.

That way they won't lose weight, and will maintain over winter.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
Thanks!! Yesterday he ate a little from his bowl but when I held the food out to him he ate like a pig!!' I think he is spoiled lol. Only eating when i hold the food!

Status
Not open for further replies.