Question about Aspen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Cab Aspen be used for all torts?
Provided you adjust? Keep moist with added moss for RedFoot? Keep dry for Leopards? Anything to add for Russians? I am ready to change it all and want to do it right. Thanks na

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I think Aspen would be too dry for the redfoots. Try Cypress Mulch which will retain moisture well. Also you can do Cypress mixed with the EcoEarth coco bricks that expand in water.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Another option is a hardwood mulch (organic) from a nursery for redfoots. It holds moisture well and isn't as coarse as cypress. I've used it for years with no problems.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Do you mean the mulch that you put around the plants outside?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Itort said:
Another option is a hardwood mulch (organic) from a nursery for redfoots. It holds moisture well and isn't as coarse as cypress. I've used it for years with no problems.

Thats is a good idea, I will have to check my local nursery for that. Sometimes I luck out and the Cypress is really fine grated but most of the time its long, course pieces.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Yes, just be sure it is organic. Ask the nursery to show you a sample of it and be it is hardwood not softwood (i.e. cedar,fir,pine). The stuff I use is almost a course humas.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Thanks, course it's the middle of winter here and no nurserys are open yet. I can buy the moss in a bag. Would I just use that or mix it with something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.