disposal of aspen shavings

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
It's about time for me to change out my little guy's substrate of aspen shavings (and a bit of timothy hay). We have a wood-burning fireplace. Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to burn the shavings if we already have a fire going? I've been spot cleaning so I don't think there will be much of anything in them, and they are dry.

Is aspen clean-burning? Any fumes possible from tortoise waste or the shavings themselves? If I burned it, would I have to avoid burning the hay too? Anyone done this, or have an alternative to just throwing the shavings away? My enclosure is about 8 square feet and although I have about 2-3 inches put down right now, I want to double that thickness next substrate change so we're talking about a large amount of shavings...

On a side note I live kinda near the Bean Farm (Western Washington) and they have an awesome deal on a huge bag of aspen (6 cubic feet for $20) if anyone else lives near them...I'd assume the shipping would be costly but picking it up isn't too expensive. I'm picking up a few bags next week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would imagine that aspen would be a pretty good mulch if you separate it and mix it up real good.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Didn't end up burning it--too much of a hassle. I was impressed I fit it all in two grocery bags to take to the dumpster though. The new bedding I got little guy is awesome. It's the very fine shavings and is extra soft. I got an awesome deal--45 lb bag for $20, that I can probably stretch to about 6-8 substrate changes. I guess the 3 bags I bought will last quite a while! If anyone ever gets the chance to order from the Bean Farm I'd highly recommend them. I like supporting local businesses and great customer service is a bonus.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hey Kate...I live in Corvallis Oregon maybe we could meet up and have coffee sometime and talk torts. I'd love to meet you and see your animals...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Maggie-Sounds fun if I'm ever down that way, or you're up in Seattle! I just have the one tort...don't think I'm going to be "allowed" any more (I'd get a Greek probably if I could). I'm having to work pretty hard to make sure him enclosure doesn't smell, matches with the furnishings, etc. My fiance loves Trevor almost as much as I do, but I think he'd freak if our house had more than one tort living in it and started to turn into a mini "zoo." I dream of getting a big tort. Maybe someday when we both have a yard and live in a warm climate.

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Hey Kate,

I checked on line Bean Farm seems like a pretty good deal with their prices on Aspen. Right now I am buying finely shaved snake bedding (Aspen) also much softer can you post a picture of what the Aspen you bought looks like? Most of the other stuff I have seen or tried is cut in squares and seems rough so I decided to try the snake bedding which works awesome but is pricey.

Thanks

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It is the finely shaved snake bedding type stuff (really soft). It was dusty right out of the package but once it settled down it's been great. Here's a picture next to some timothy hay. My little guy is actually under that pile right now!

30c29mc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.