Pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nematoad1998

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. I just recently became a tortoise owner when i got a yearling leopard tortoise. I started to read more about pyramiding and i was wondering: How can you tell if a tortoise has pyramiding? Also, does my tort have any pyramiding?

IMG_0762.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi nematoad 1998:

I don't believe you've ever told us your name and where you are?

Yes, your tortoise has some pyramiding. They aren't supposed to have bumps on their back, they should be smooth.

But the tortoise is absolutely beautiful even with its bumps!

nematoad1998

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi nematoad 1998:

I don't believe you've ever told us your name and where you are?

Yes, your tortoise has some pyramiding. They aren't supposed to have bumps on their back, they should be smooth.

But the tortoise is absolutely beautiful even with its bumps!

My name is Nate and I'm from Indiana. Is it something serious that i should be worried about?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
There is not too much you can do for the already existing pyramiding, however, if you let the growth rate be slow and steady, keep humidity at that species requirement and be certain that you feed a varied diet and keep your tort well hydrated and plenty of natural sun....you can level out the continuation of pyramiding for new growth...in my opinion :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nate:

No, what you see on your tortoise isn't harmful...merely cosmetic. Some pyramiding is associated with MBD (metabolic bone disease), but your tortoise is just fine.

If the tortoise had been kept in a more humid environment during its first year, it would be smoother. We really don't understand yet why humidity aids in smooth growth, we're still finding these things out. But if you'll read Tom's experiments with his sulcata babies, you'll see that it really does work.

nematoad1998

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Nate:

No, what you see on your tortoise isn't harmful...merely cosmetic. Some pyramiding is associated with MBD (metabolic bone disease), but your tortoise is just fine.

If the tortoise had been kept in a more humid environment during its first year, it would be smoother. We really don't understand yet why humidity aids in smooth growth, we're still finding these things out. But if you'll read Tom's experiments with his sulcata babies, you'll see that it really does work.
aah thank you that puts my mind at ease :)

Status
Not open for further replies.