Pyramiding?

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I've had my Leopard Tortoise, Scutes, for about 3 years now. Wondering if his pyramiding is alright for his age? (He's 3)

I try to spray down his enclosure with mist 3 times daily. IMG_1210.JPG IMG_1212.JPG Sorry for the blurry/big pictures :p

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
His pyramiding is what typical leopard pyramiding looks like. It's a 5 on the 1-10 severity scale IMO.

It's still early enough to allow smoother growth to come in if the right changes are made but he will show his current pyramiding forever. It looks as if his heat lamp is too close to the top of his shell which will make it much more difficult to correct his growth. That's why most leopards have highly pyramided vertebral scutes because the vertebral scutes tend to dry out the most from being to close to the heat source.

If you could provide pictures of his entire set up we could make recommendations to stop the pyramiding in its tracks.

Here is two example of leopards that were highly pyramided for their age but after a year of growth in a proper enclosure have begun new smooth growth between the scutes.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451266876.505991.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451266890.601092.jpg

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California