pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xastur

5 Year Member
Sigmar said:
Just what is pyramiding?

There is a thread stickied at the top of the board if you want to check it out that shows pyramiding. I could explain it but it wouldn't come out as eloquent as one of the experts on here so i will defer to them =)

Sigmar

5 Year Member
Well actually the sticky doesn't answer my question. I'm new to tortoises and the terminology. So my question still stands, what is it, what causes it and can it be cured?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Pyramiding is when the scutes abnormally grow up - in a pyramid fashion. The causes of it aren't completely known. The newest thoughts are humidity related. Others claim too much protein, not enough exercsie, or over feeding. It may actually be a combination of all of these things. From my experiences, my bets are on humidity. You can't cure it - but you can stop it in it's track if the husbandry is corrected. Hope that was somewhat helpful for you.

M

Maggie Cummings

Scan the Sulcata threads and most pictures that you see will have pyramided Sulcata. I say "most" because there are some smooth Sulcata pictures and knowing this group I'll get jumped on if I am not exactly correct in what I'm talking about...:p

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
maggie3fan said:
Scan the Sulcata threads and most pictures that you see will have pyramided Sulcata. I say "most" because there are some smooth Sulcata pictures and knowing this group I'll get jumped on if I am not exactly correct in what I'm talking about...:p

*^&*%#$ what do you mean by "most" ? What are you trying to say Maggie?

I guess by most I meant you...always right there to jump on me!!!

Sigmar

5 Year Member
When you say scutes, these are the square pieces that make up the top of the shell? Like I said I'm pretty new to this

moswen

5 Year Member
yes sigmar, the segmented pieces that make up the top of the tortoise shell are called "scutes", and that whole top domey "squared" section of the tortoise shell is called a "carpice." the underside, or belly, of the tortoise shell, is called a "plastron." this is where you can sort-of tell males between females if they are old enough. i wish i had found this forum when i was new to tortoises, it took me like 6 months to figure out what scutes and carapices and plastrons were lol!! actually, when i first decided to get a sulcata, i decided that based on the fact that i had never seen a tortoise or turtle before than had bumps on it's shell!! lol, that was of corse before i figured out that that was bad... :)-! welcome to tortoises, we hope you love them as much as we do!!

Sigmar

5 Year Member
thank you all for the info, Kimber the site was very informative.

moswen

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
Just to clarify (Sorry Bekah ;) ) the top of the shell is "carapace" not "carpice."

sorry, i put a lot of posts up from my blackberry, sometimes it's hard to proof read on such a small screen! so, does that count for one of my three sins that i'm allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.