Puppy Coming Soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Okay so Bella is going to have her puppy soon & I was hoping that someone out there can tell me what I should expect. What do I do if she starts delivering @ home? What are the signs that delivery is near? What if the puppy comes out feet first? What do I do with the puppy right after it's born? or... do I just do nothing and let nature take its course? :shy:

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Congratulations! I know nothing about puppy birthing, but I know that before delivery cats will start wandering the house or pacing. Sometimes they cry. The kittens are often born feet first - it's not a big deal. There's no reason to intervene most of the time - unless the mama doesn't lick off the sac around the kitten right away and the baby isn't going to be able to breathe - but again, this rarely happens. Of course this is all for cats, so hopefully someone will chime in about dogs. Good luck and keep us updated! (Sorry I didn't get the whole things posted first because that little kitten I rescued is climbing all over my computer and pressing "enter".)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thanks, Kimber! Bella was doing that exact thing this morning, but supposedly she isn't due for another 2wks! Wonder if this warrants a vet visit??

kimber_lee_314 said:
Congratulations! I know nothing about puppy birthing, but I know that before delivery the mama will start wandering the house or pacing. Sometimes they whine and cry. The kittens are often born feet first

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I do :) I forgot to mention I have delivered puppies and foals before.
I'll write a detailed response when I'm on at the yard freezing to death :)

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
When she is gonna deliver she will likely go somewhere away from everyone, if she has her own bed thats where she will go, maybe under a bed etc, she will start licking herself, then puppies come out quick, the pup will be in a sac, the mother will eat the sac then lick the puppy, cleaning it, the licking of the face stimulates the puppies first breathe.. I have had to help the mother of a few puppies, when the mother didnt seem to know to eat of the sack and lick her baby u have to cut the sack yourself, do this gently with a pair of medical scissors, well I'm a nurse so thats what I've used, once u have the sack open u can peel the rest off, once the face is uncovered take a clean damp cloth and wipe the puppy, if this does not stimulate the puppy blow in his face.. Hopefully u do not have to do anything but watch the momma deliver, its seldom the momma doesnt do it correctly.. This info I've just given u isnt something I have read, when I was young I watched my mother do it with a litter of lab pups then when I was older I had to help my boyfriends english bull dog, we only lost one of nine puppies, it was the runt..

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I know NOTHING about delivering puppies, but sounds exciting! Can't wait to see puppy pictures! Hopefully she delivers before you leave for vacation or waits till you get home! :)

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Im not a Vet..But When I was a kid we had a dog that was always having pup...and I always took care of her..she would always start acting nervous,making her bed and licking herself a few hrs before ... When it was time she would settle in and start to pant.. It wasn't long before the first pup showed his head..she would do as described almost immediately licking the pup.. To stimulate... There were a few times where I had to physically help..the pup came out feet first or I could see that she was having trouble delivering ..I gently pressed on her abdomen and pulled ever so slightly on the pup...after the birthing is done..I dry the pups and keep everyone dry and warm..

Here is something I want to mention..god forbid you have a still birth... Let mom keep the pup for as long as possible...I had a couple still birth and without knowing i quickly disposed of them... Mom stopped birthing and went outside to dig the puppy up and brought it back inside....then continued..

Good luck hope all goes well

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Oh geez, Hector! That is SO freakin' gross!... other than that... thanks for the help! ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
nikki0601 said:
When she is gonna deliver she will likely go somewhere away from everyone, if she has her own bed thats where she will go, maybe under a bed etc, she will start licking herself, then puppies come out quick, the pup will be in a sac, the mother will eat the sac then lick the puppy, cleaning it, the licking of the face stimulates the puppies first breathe.. I have had to help the mother of a few puppies, when the mother didnt seem to know to eat of the sack and lick her baby u have to cut the sack yourself, do this gently with a pair of medical scissors, well I'm a nurse so thats what I've used, once u have the sack open u can peel the rest off, once the face is uncovered take a clean damp cloth and wipe the puppy, if this does not stimulate the puppy blow in his face.. Hopefully u do not have to do anything but watch the momma deliver, its seldom the momma doesnt do it correctly.. This info I've just given u isnt something I have read, when I was young I watched my mother do it with a litter of lab pups then when I was older I had to help my boyfriends english bull dog, we only lost one of nine puppies, it was the runt..

One thing I would like to add. If you have to break the sac yourself, do it by the face. The pup will usually gasp as soon as the sac is broken, and if you don't break it at the face, the pup will gasp in the fluid, then you could develop bigger problems. I helped my show dogs whelp their pups all the time back in the day.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Sac? Sac!! I think I'll let the vet handle everything! I think I'm in over my head! :p

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
AnthonyC said:
Sac? Sac!! I think I'll let the vet handle everything! I think I'm in over my head! :p

What you going to do? Keep her at the vet till she gives birth?! You can do it!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Okay just looked at a miniature dachshund giving birth on Youtube. Are you freakin' kidding me! There is no way in God's green Earth that I can do that! Don't they have canine midwives for this stuff! Listen, there's no no no way in hell I'm bursting any sac! OMG... It looked like a cross between a egg plant & a slug! Bleh!!! :(

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
You can do it.. Yes that is right cut the sack around the face first, its really easy to help the momma and 9 times outta 10 there is no need, that momma has all the instincts to care for that pup, lol, aint nothing like a momma dog, I had a little chihuahua that had just one pup, she would not leave that puppy for nothing, I had to put a newspaper right by the doggie bed so she could use the restroom and put food and water right near that, she didnt go 2 feet from that puppy for almost two weeks, momma doggie love is amazing

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I dunno Nik! Looked like a damn car accident to me. Don't they say that birth is a beautiful thing? Liars! It sure as hell wasn't flowers poppin' outta there!!!!

nikki0601 said:
You can do it.. Yes that is right cut the sack around the face first, its really easy to help the momma and 9 times outta 10 there is no need, that momma has all the instincts to care for that pup, lol, aint nothing like a momma dog, I had a little chihuahua that had just one pup, she would not leave that puppy for nothing, I had to put a newspaper right by the doggie bed so she could use the restroom and put food and water right near that, she didnt go 2 feet from that puppy for almost two weeks, momma doggie love is amazing

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Anthony you are giving me the biggest laugh with your comments... You can do it, after the first one comes out all your fears will be gone..

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Lol, thats funny, its not very beautiful but once the bloody mess is over it is a nice sight, puppies are so cute, and little weiner doggies even more so.. Your momma dog and that unborn pup are lucky to have someone like u, so concerned and excited, very lucky

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
As for where she will want to have them might surprise you when the time comes.Seven, our little chihuahua- dachshund mix was just a puppy herself (accidental pregnancy)and when the time came my wife had a tax client here going over the return, Seven kept jumping in my wife's lap and whining,and jumping down trying to get her to follow her, we had birthing areas set up in several places in the house for her but nooo,she had to be in our bed, so that is where she delivered three of the cutest little pups that I had ever seen. we got several towels and kept them under her to minimize the mess, surprisingly she kept everything relativity clean.The tax client had to come back another day and one of the puppies is named Bella, with two beautiful blue eyes like her mother, Seven. You can do it with her, Good Luck hope everything goes well. Len

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Anthony, calm down. When the time comes will be time enough for you to panic. :D Seriously, it is not that bad. There will be times, when you start to think nothing is happening and get a little worried. Then once the real action starts, it's simply amazing to be able to be there for the births. Think of it as pretraining for the day your there for your own child's birth, if your planning or even thinking of that in the future. :p

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Yea. Jacqui speaks sense :)

Jacqui said:
Anthony, calm down. When the time comes will be time enough for you to panic. :D Seriously, it is not that bad. There will be times, when you start to think nothing is happening and get a little worried. Then once the real action starts, it's simply amazing to be able to be there for the births. Think of it as pretraining for the day your there for your own child's birth, if your planning or even thinking of that in the future. :p

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Anthony...the worst part is having to chew the umbilical cord if momma doesn't do it......haha, just kidding. Remember, it is important to let momma eat the amniotic sacs, they contain a natural source of oxytocin that helps the other pups be born and lets her milk down so it's available when the pups are ready to nurse.

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.