prolapse?

charlie91

Can i have some advice please, i have a horsfield tortoise he is approximately 7 months old maybe abit older. I have had him for about 3 months, i got him off a reptile vet. I have not had any problems with him, apart from recently after he poops a weird like mushroom thing appears for about 5 minutes after hes pooed but then goes back in. I have read about prolapses and whether he is just flashing. He seems fine, eats drinks poos regular and is very active. Do you think i need to take him to the vet to get checked out or is this a normal thing that happens sometimes. It happened today for about 5-10 minutes and i soaked him in warm water, it happened yesterday for about 5 minutes and has happened about twice a few more weeks ago. He doesn't appear to be constipated or anything, and the buldge that comes out generally looks like a mushroom or penis type thing which i have seen on the internet. I am just worried because i dont want it to stay out or be the sign of something more serious. Before i got him he has been wormed and checked for parasites, so i am not really concerned about that at the moment.

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I've never heard of a tort less than one year old "flashing". How sure are you on the age? Do you have any pictures of the tort and of when this happens? Keeping it wet is the key with a prolapse.

charlie91

i think he is older than 6 months because the vet i got him off had him for a few months and he was at a pet shop before then, I think he is probably more like a year. Is this still too young? Also i dont have a picture of the prolapse but i have a picture of the tortoise if that would hellp?

charlie91

11120080_919165964802936_7771888362490987780_n.jpg

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
How long is your tort? He appears to be about 4" long which would make him much older than you are thinking. I'm betting he's at least 5 years old, if not more.

They have to be sexually mature to flash and that do sent happen for a few years.

Post some more pictures and someone with more experience than me will be along shortly.

charlie91

okay ill get some more tortoise pictures up soon, and ill try nab a picture next time he does it. Bloody hell 5 years old :O

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Pet stores sell wild caught one that have to be at least 4" and Russians grow really slow. That makes yours for sure at least several years old. 5 plus years old