constipation

chrissie40

Location (City and/or State)
newcastle under lyme
My tort was wormed by the vet a week ago. He's not pooed properly since .I am giving him extra long soaks every day.he's only doing tiny hard bits. Offered him aloe but he won't eat it. Any ideas??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because this is a special case, you can offer wet things like watermelon, etc. If he's still eating you can put some mineral oil on a lettuce leaf and roll it up into a taquito and fold up the end then hand feed it to him.

Never give mineral oil by mouth by itself. Because the tortoise can't feel it you run the risk of having him inhale it into his lungs. Always give it with food.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think in the UK you call it liquid paraffin.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I'm in the uk, when my tortoise was sick he was subscribed some,thing called repto boost, u can buy it in shops too. It's a powder u mix in with the water when u soak them, with electrolytes and vitamins in.

It really perked tink up, and got him going to the toilet again too (he hadn't been in ages)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
For this purpose, I would slice up some cucumbers and some yellow squash and offer these to your tort. Adding the mineral oil is also good as suggested.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
For this purpose, I would slice up some cucumbers and some yellow squash and offer these to your tort. Adding the mineral oil is also good as suggested.

chrissie40

newcastle under lyme
Thanks for that. Have ordered some repto boost. And will try melons.he won't eat cucumber. Seems to be moving a bit today. Thank you all

Sorry to jump on your post I saw the boost was mentioned, I was told by my shop to give it to my hermann twice a week and the calcium the other five days??
Does anyone know if that right
Thank you

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Those were the directions I was given by my vet. But tinks was quite poorly, so maybe that's why I was instructed to give it more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wUOTE="Leanne_1232006, post: 897404, member: 38271"]Sorry to jump on your post I saw the boost was mentioned, I was told by my shop to give it to my hermann twice a week and the calcium the other five days??
Does anyone know if that right
Thank you[/QUOTE]

I would not use that many supplements that often. I tiny pinch of calcium a couple of times a week should be all that is needed with a good diet. Too much calcium too often interferes with the absorption of other necessary minerals and trace elements. It can actually cause a mineral deficiency.

Pet shops generally give horrible advice even though they might mean well. Often it is because the book they read is now outdated.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
This wasn't a permanent thing, only for short period. Prescribed by vet alongside a course of anti biotics. It's not calcium it's electrolytes

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In your initial post here you posted two pics..in one of the pics the substrate you appeared to have was a bed of little granule stones....are you still using that material...also in the pic it shows that the food was laid directly on that material....ingestion of that material while eating can create a bad situation.....I would offer long (no less than 30 minutes) warm water soaks at least once a day to assure that the tort is hydrated enough to help move items on out of him.