Project Pig Nose (Now soft shell!)

Slasher

Hi from South Africa.
Please read my introduction for initial info.

I bought a 5" female Flying river/Pig nose turtle today.I want to setup a near to perfect 5ft tank for her but need help from more experienced keepers as I'm a total noob.I hope this will become a interesting project to share.

I would like for the people that has the knowledge to please give you're opinions as this project unfolds.I am axious to learn,listen and produce a suitable environment for her to be proud of.

Thank you

Last edited:

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
How big is your turtle ? Fly rivers get huge. They do best in a pond like enclosure if you can provide one. They are excellent swimmers and rarely come out of the water

Kyle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll send an alert to @Will . At one time, I think he was involved with the pig nose or Carettochelys insculpta in some way or another.

Slasher

Hi Kyle

She is 5 inces.
Outside pond us going to be a no no for me.She would not survive winter here.

I was thinking of keeping her till she out grows what I can safely and humanely provide for her and then give her to a local zoo.

Last edited:

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Hi Kyle

She is 5 inces.
Outside pond us going to be a no no for me.She would not survive winter here.
My friend has a pig nose and she keeps it in a 1200 gallon tank it's 94 inches by 54 by 52 in believe. She keeps it heated as well as he grows tho she plans to upgrade. To even bigger. I would go big as you can go to save money in the future. That way your not always upgrading your enclosure. If your trying to do a breeding project I would really look into custom tanks or water contsiners. Fish farms have big water tanks maybe you can buy one used. Few thousand gallons i would assime. Fly rivers can get 20 inches and if you do 10 gallon a inch rule which I think is minimum personally looking at 2000 gallons for one. A breeding project mabe like a few different 2000 gallon tanks. A 5 ft tank unless it's super wide and tall might only be 150 gallons. Customs build one like 8 foot by 5 by 5 foot that would be around 1300-1400 gals

Kyle

Slasher

Tnx Kyle.

I'm off to bed it's past midnight here and it's been a long day for me.Looking foward to reading the replies when I wake up.

Cheers

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Not a Carettochelys :-(

It will still need a large enclosure, though. And I bet the species you actually have would survive the winter there.

Slasher

Morning.I did some further research.Could I have a Pelodiscus sinensis-Chinese soft shell??

Slasher

Could she be a Pelodiscus sinensis-Chinese soft shell??

I don't mind the challange-I can't just give up on her because she is full of cr@p to keep and has lots off needs,I made the commitment,I have to see it through.Kinda makes me think of my wife haha.

Slasher

Hi Grandpa Turtle.

We normally see them walking across roads on our way to a vacation spot.We have to stop and pick them up and place them on the other side of the road to be able to continue on our journey.I've personally lifted some heavy boys out of the road haha

Ill take some pictures should I bump into them again.

Slasher

Yeah it helps alot knowing what specie I have.For instance a Fly river is more herbivores and likes some proteins as well but is primarily herbivores.Soft shells are more carnivorous.I was going to give my turtle the wrong diet.It makes me think now in what bad conditions he was kept,he was gobbling up algae wafers just to get some food.I don't doubt it's good for him but my strategy has to change.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Looks like you have a softshell turtle of some sort. They don't really get out too often. But do like to swim. I would give as much swiming space as possible. And maybe a hanging basking area. The soft shell will eventually need a pond

Kyle

Slasher

Saw a couple of nice things I could do with a tank for her like...images (20).jpg 196dd2f14ad6ce63fc35ea3d4619cb2b.jpg 14983030005_56d87d3ec7_b.jpg images (19).jpg 8bd9f5478a2ee01fa2e1c1f59bb3c866.jpg

But I think I have a winner.Something easy and cost effective to make and with some decor should look great.....Turtle-tank-60x24x24-with-basking-area-and-ramp.jpg 33430014_614.jpg
What do you think??

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
That's a good point. I didn't think it looked like sinensis when I first saw it, but you do raise a valid point. They are relatively common in places, especially Chinatowns, where they are shipped in for food. I didn't think I was seeing a couple tell tale signs of sinensis, but I didn't feel comfortable with the ID in general. Most of the sinensis we see here in the US are albino.

Can you share more photos here to confirm the ID? Good news is, these are definitely one of the smaller Softshell species.

Slasher

Hi Anthony

Yes I have also heard of the albino.I did buy her from a LFS in a China mall,so it does then make sense that I could be a sinensis.LFS owner also did mention they grow to around 10 inches.

Here's some more pics....20161127_160112.jpg 20161127_160038.jpg 20161127_160025.jpg 20161127_155928.jpg

Small update: I went to the LFS today to buy a 5ft tank,unfortunately no stock today.I ordered 1,hope to receive it a.s.a.p. Also picked up some meal worms-she loves them!!

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Could she be a Pelodiscus sinensis-Chinese soft shell??

I don't mind the challange-I can't just give up on her because she is full of cr@p to keep and has lots off needs,I made the commitment,I have to see it through.Kinda makes me think of my wife haha.

No, it's not a Chinese soft shell. There is an African softshell turtle or Nile softshell turtle (Trionyx triunguis)

Slasher

Oh I almost forgot.Got a Repti Zoo UVB light as well @ 30$ can you believe it.

Slasher

Hi Yvonne

The Trionyx triunguis looks like this...

Juvenileimages (22).jpgAdult images (23).jpg

Mine looks like this20161127_160038.jpg 20161127_160025.jpg

Pelodiscus sinensis is the closest match.