Project Impressa

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
I see a problem with this thread...Not to step on anyones toes, and please don't get offended, but I commonly see members getting angry about hybridization among tortoises. Unless I have mis-understood your source of these animals, in which case I am sorry, now I see threads of people importing large groups of very endangered tortoises, and saying "buy 20 and hope 2.2 live". I see no reason why 20 highly endangered tortoises have to die for some of us to have our dreams. Yes, it would be wonderful to work with manouria impressa, and we do need to have some breeding pairs in captivity, but at least get them from a captive bred source. That or leave them to the TSA, zoos and rescues who have all the resources needed to care for them. Importation is only depleting wild numbers even faster.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
I see a problem with this thread...Not to step on anyones toes, and please don't get offended, but I commonly see members getting angry about hybridization among tortoises. Unless I have mis-understood your source of these animals, in which case I am sorry, now I see threads of people importing large groups of very endangered tortoises, and saying "buy 20 and hope 2.2 live". I see no reason why 20 highly endangered tortoises have to die for some of us to have our dreams. Yes, it would be wonderful to work with manouria impressa, and we do need to have some breeding pairs in captivity, but at least get them from a captive bred source. That or leave them to the TSA, zoos and rescues who have all the resources needed to care for them. Importation is only depleting wild numbers even faster.

Who said they were "endangered" to begin with? You do realize I'm having more success than most "Zoos" or rescues(?).........

Ever been to Vietnam? Or have an inkling about how this process works in Vietnam?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
RedfootsRule said:

While I mostly agree, this tort has been on the menu in its native area for quite some time. To be honest, most of these torts would have probably ended up dead even if they were left in the wild. At least in captivity they will breed and produce a stable captive population so that maybe one day when their wild habitat is stable once again there will be enough in captivity to support a new wild population.

How are these guys doing, by the way?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
CourtneyAndCarl said:
RedfootsRule said:

While I mostly agree, this tort has been on the menu in its native area for quite some time. To be honest, most of these torts would have probably ended up dead even if they were left in the wild. At least in captivity they will breed and produce a stable captive population so that maybe one day when their wild habitat is stable once again there will be enough in captivity to support a new wild population.

There is some truth to that, but also some false. With such a fragile species, I can't see reintroduction to the wild working with this species. Protecting them in their natural habitat is the way to go. From what I've heard of impressed tortoises, about 5% of those imported live, and even those probably never thrive. If we left them in the wild and protected them where they are, it would be much better for the species. Captive breeding I would leave to TSA or conservation organizations with the proper funding and knowledge of the species, and all the resources to ensure they actually survive.

nhaislip

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
You do realize I'm having more success than most "Zoos" or rescues(?).........

How much success are you having? I.e. how many clutches and what are the fertility rates. Just interested.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
RedfootsRule,

How effective have your efforts been in preserving the wild? Has the damage been halted by your efforts? Reversed by your efforts? Please do not be offended (see how that works?).

The point of these, as I see it, is for Eric to build up founder stock with minimized casualties for the process. Then he can produce from there, supplying far greater numbers of healthy offspring than if left to their own and suffering heavily from predation.

Explicitly define the resources the TSA, zoos, and rescues have that are needed to care for them and explain how these explicitly defined resources are not available by or to other parties.

Rio

5 Year Member
Despite the controversy I can't wait to hear how well your efforts are going. I hope you're able to save a good amount of your instock <3

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Eric, I applaud your efforts and hope your success will lead to cb impressa available in the future.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Eric,

I would say I have a pretty good idea of the challenge. I've been around the 'impressa' block.

Your doing good.

From another art/science field "You can only make good wine from good grapes, you can't make good wine from bad grapes, and you certainly can make bad wine from good grapes."

It's apparent you can make good wine, I hope you the best of grapes.

Will

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Moderator Yvonne split off the argumentative posts from this thread. I you all want to argue about taking tortoises from the wild, start your own thread in the debate section. Eric started this thread way back in September. I'm wondering why it has just now become such a hot topic?

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
So I have reread the thread and am curious how your project is going.
Yes, another request please.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Agreed on an update. My friend is doing similiar but not as many specimens. His are faring so so. Some are feeding well and some are mediocre.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Project Impressa is on hold untill I can get some health issues sorted out. The animals have been loaned to a few competent individuals that will care for them in the short term untill I get them back. I have a few Juvies coming in within the next week or two that I can play around with in the meantime......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You mean your own health, Eric? If so, I hope you get well soon. It's no fun being sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.