Project Impressa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
Not familiar with this species at all, but sounds like quite the uphill battle. Best of luck to you Eric!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Figured I'd throw this up just to show the Parasite loads in these animals are no joke - This is from an Adult Female - The first defication since I received her - This is good though, atleast it shows she is capable of processing things which will help out with the Parasite load.......

002_zps6f72339d.jpg

003_zps3d101fcb.jpg

007_zps08e2f80b.jpg

008_zps95580ebf.jpg

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Eric, does this compel you to give these guys some panacur or pyrantel?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Weldd said:

Not in the least. The Parasites will cycle out in due time. The animals immune system does a quicker and more efficient job at that than any de-wormer or anti-biotic. Fix the immune system, fix the parasites. Fairly simple. This will go on in cycles for some time depending on the species and type of Parasite. If I were to de-worm them now, I risk throwing them into toxic shock, intestinal blockages, renal failure, and a few other things........

There is gradual improvement. The animals that had sunk in eyes are progressing to the point where they are starting to "look" hydrated. I sit them in the shower once or twice a day, depending on how much weight they lost in the time period between me feeding them in the morning and checking on them at night. They are starting to deficate and act some what normally. I'm starting to feel good about the routine I have them on, so hopefully things continue to progress and go well from here.......

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Awesome. I'm loving this approach. I'm really really hoping that you're successful.

Keep the updates coming!

EricIvins said:
Weldd said:

Not in the least. The Parasites will cycle out in due time. The animals immune system does a quicker and more efficient job at that than any de-wormer or anti-biotic. Fix the immune system, fix the parasites. Fairly simple. This will go on in cycles for some time depending on the species and type of Parasite. If I were to de-worm them now, I risk throwing them into toxic shock, intestinal blockages, renal failure, and a few other things........

There is gradual improvement. The animals that had sunk in eyes are progressing to the point where they are starting to "look" hydrated. I sit them in the shower once or twice a day, depending on how much weight they lost in the time period between me feeding them in the morning and checking on them at night. They are starting to deficate and act some what normally. I'm starting to feel good about the routine I have them on, so hopefully things continue to progress and go well from here.......

conservation

10 Year Member!
Interesting thread. Seems like your the guy to take on this challenge.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I'm learning so much from this thread!!! GOOD LUCK Eric!!!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Pictures of what I would call the "Patriarch" pair. Big, beautiful adults.......Hopefully the next group will have more animals like this. So far so good......

011_zps975c8220.jpg

006_zpsce83c8bc.jpg

015_zps9fa93ca0.jpg

016_zpsb40b5abd.jpg

Vincentdhr

5 Year Member
Where did you get these guys? Last time I saw some they were 800ish dollars...

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Sweet potato & dandelion seem to be two readily accepted foodstuffs, as well. Carefully consider the benefit of getting some to eat vs. the detriment of potential gut flora changes with the sweet potato. It may be better used as an enticement than a base diet element.

The best of luck to you in this endeavor! It is certainly a worthwhile effort.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Vincentdhr said:
Where did you get these guys? Last time I saw some they were 800ish dollars...

Vietnam......

HLogic said:
Sweet potato & dandelion seem to be two readily accepted foodstuffs, as well. Carefully consider the benefit of getting some to eat vs. the detriment of potential gut flora changes with the sweet potato. It may be better used as an enticement than a base diet element.

The best of luck to you in this endeavor! It is certainly a worthwhile effort.

Sweet Potato is one thing this group will not touch. From what I can reason, they aren't fans of anything that is really soft or hard. Fruit/Vegetables that are firm but still chewable seem to be preferred at this point.

wildak

5 Year Member
it really goes to show their intelligence how different they are from tortoise to tortoise on what foods they like. And goes to show mine as I had to look how to spell intelligence lol.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Very interesting thread. Thank you for the updates, please keep them coming.

wildak

5 Year Member
Have you picked up any smaller ones Eric ?
They seem to take the change to captivity much faster, stress a lot less than the older hardwired adults and seem to be in much better overall condition when they arrive. I was wondering if you had the same experience with the youngsters ?

Just from my experience from picking up many Impressa this summer I would highly suggest requesting smaller ones to anyone reading that wants to give them a shot. Also Ty Park just got a very large shipment of some really nice healthy fresh caught ones which gives you a good start.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Weldd said:
Eric, any updates with these guys?

I lost 1 animal. Everyone else is doing really well. Solid Poo and everything else.......

Still waiting on the other group to land - Possibly later next week......Right now I'm Male heavy by one animal. Hopefully this group will remedy that. If not, there will be a few Males up for sale. I'm about to let these guys go outside once I get a new row of pens built.......

If anyone has any surplus they want to offer, please email me......I'm always looking for more Impressa, along with any Manouria......

Status
Not open for further replies.