Pretend Chat 2.14

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Addis, LA
Everyone we talked to... no one is catching... we going to trying crabbing in the surf tonight

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fingers crossed
I really should know better by now. It's a very large female RES. Poor thing has been out of the water for such a long time that it can't sink. She paddles furiously and gets underwater and I can see clouds of silt poofing up from the bottom, but then - blup - she pops up on the surface. She's about 11" SCL, quite a large girl.

2018 Rescue #27a.jpg 2018 Rescue #27b.jpg 2018 Rescue #27c.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I really should know better by now. It's a very large female RES. Poor thing has been out of the water for such a long time that it can't sink. She paddles furiously and gets underwater and I can see clouds of silt poofing up from the bottom, but then - blup - she pops up on the surface. She's about 11" SCL, quite a large girl.

View attachment 241600 View attachment 241601 View attachment 241602
Is this the pond where you redid the walls etc? Or Will redid the walls etc. And it does look like a big one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. It used to have a filter of sorts, not to 'filter' the water, per se, but mainly to add aeration. But it kept getting plugged up due to the silt bottom and I dismantled it. I'm thinking of buying a sump pump and running it through some sort of sprinkler to add aeration. I know the green water doesn't look all that appetizing, but the fish live quite comfortably in there, so it can't be all bad.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Yes. It used to have a filter of sorts, not to 'filter' the water, per se, but mainly to add aeration. But it kept getting plugged up due to the silt bottom and I dismantled it. I'm thinking of buying a sump pump and running it through some sort of sprinkler to add aeration. I know the green water doesn't look all that appetizing, but the fish live quite comfortably in there, so it can't be all bad.
The Turtle looked like it liked it as well. So green is not that bad.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
You could always get Will to create a natural filter. ( says me cheekily)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Well that explains not eating banana [emoji849][emoji20]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You could always get Will to create a natural filter. ( says me cheekily)
Sh-h-h. . . Will is the reason the pump stopped working. It used to pump the water into the bottom of the filter and then the water flowed upwards through the filter pads, dropping the silt back down into the bottom of the filter container. Then occasionally I would open the drain and flush out the silt onto the ground. But Will thought it should be the other way around and spent half a day fixing it so the water flowed into the top of the filter, with the water going down through the pads and then back out into the pond. But it only took about an hour for that top filter pad to be plugged up with silt and the filter was overflowing because the water couldn't get through. It was beyond my capabilities to reverse it back to the way it was before, so I just dismantled it.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Sh-h-h. . . Will is the reason the pump stopped working. It used to pump the water into the bottom of the filter and then the water flowed upwards through the filter pads, dropping the silt back down into the bottom of the filter container. Then occasionally I would open the drain and flush out the silt onto the ground. But Will thought it should be the other way around and spent half a day fixing it so the water flowed into the top of the filter, with the water going down through the pads and then back out into the pond. But it only took about an hour for that top filter pad to be plugged up with silt and the filter was overflowing because the water couldn't get through. It was beyond my capabilities to reverse it back to the way it was before, so I just dismantled it.
Oh dear. Hmm Will is fired then. We will have to find you another handyman. [emoji6]

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

Oh geez!! That’s a big one!! How many in there now? Sorry to here about your filter.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Is this safe to plant in enclosure or feed?
I can’t remember it’s name but we planted it over a year ago.
IMG_0519.jpg

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Oh dear. Hmm Will is fired then. We will have to find you another handyman. [emoji6]

Oh no, Will could never be fired!

When I win the lottery, I’ll be sending Yvonne some sorta help.
I’m thinking she needs a guesthouse with a handyman that she can boss around. [emoji375][emoji373]

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
So what do you do with all that jam? My Mother used to make mulberry pie and we would eat it with fresh cream. Brings back nice memories.
We giving them away to neighbors and friends .......Only saved two jars ourselves. My wife become very popular this summer.......I wonder if all those mulberry jam has anything to do with?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh geez!! That’s a big one!! How many in there now? Sorry to here about your filter.
Too many. Last time we dug it out I kept 4 female RES that had issues (three legs, no nose, etc), then there are 2.1 Florida soft shells, 0.1 Phrynops hillari, several pond turtles. The pond really isn't big enough for that many turtles, especially because some of them are pretty big. But I can't find anybody to take any more RES, so it was easier for me to just put her in the pond.

Oh no, Will could never be fired!

When I win the lottery, I’ll be sending Yvonne some sorta help.
I’m thinking she needs a guesthouse with a handyman that she can boss around. [emoji375][emoji373]
LOL! Your lips to god's ears!!

We giving them away to neighbors and friends .......Only saved two jars ourselves. My wife become very popular this summer.......I wonder if all those mulberry jam has anything to do with?
I've never tasted mullberry jam, but my daughter gave me a jar of homemade apricot jam that someone made for her. MY GAD it's good!!!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Too many. Last time we dug it out I kept 4 female RES that had issues (three legs, no nose, etc), then there are 2.1 Florida soft shells, 0.1 Phrynops hillari, several pond turtles. The pond really isn't big enough for that many turtles, especially because some of them are pretty big. But I can't find anybody to take any more RES, so it was easier for me to just put her in the pond.

LOL! Your lips to god's ears!!

I've never tasted mullberry jam, but my daughter gave me a jar of homemade apricot jam that someone made for her. MY GAD it's good!!!
I made lemon jam, which is surprisingly good. I have tried twice to make orange marmalade, but it hasn't worked very well. I ended up with only a tiny bit because the oranges didn't break down as much as they should have while there was still liquid, and it didn't thicken like it should have.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I made lemon jam, which is surprisingly good. I have tried twice to make orange marmalade, but it hasn't worked very well. I ended up with only a tiny bit because the oranges didn't break down as much as they should have while there was still liquid, and it didn't thicken like it should have.
Lemon jam sounds quite interesting..
I have a couple of "pots" that I want to plant something in and I'm torn between lemon trees or hibiscus!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Lemon jam sounds quite interesting..
I have a couple of "pots" that I want to plant something in and I'm torn between lemon trees or hibiscus!
Lemon for you, hibiscus for your tortoise! A gopher destroyed our hibiscus tree last year. Now I have to cut the branches of our neighbor's that reach over the fence, so Charlie isn't getting as much as he used to.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Lemon for you, hibiscus for your tortoise! A gopher destroyed our hibiscus tree last year. Now I have to cut the branches of our neighbor's that reach over the fence, so Charlie isn't getting as much as he used to.
He will be getting a hibiscus one way or another[emoji6]
The "improvised pots" match so I kinda want the same thing in both of them.