Pretend Chat 2.14

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I spent a week in May up in the Yorkshire Dales birdwatching. Brilliant watching Long Eared Owls hunting in broad daylight and loads of wader chicks . So cute :)
Love owls.
Lots of them here, considered unlucky can you believe.
Silly people.
Still; they're not wise either, I suppose.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It's so nice outside right now... I hope you all have a wonderful day. I am off to pay a visit with one of our elderly neighbors (hopefully.) The police were called to her place last night (if she hears strange noises she automatically calls them and they never find anything.) It makes me sad. She has family that never comes to see her. It really breaks my heart. So I am gonna "pop" over under the guise of needing some flour and see if she would like some company... I'm bringing fresh blueberry muffins and pictures the girls made for her so I am hoping the plan works. ;)
That's so SWEET of you, Dawn.
Very sad, isn't it? Regret to have to say this: I do NOT envy those who reach the age of let's say 80, 90 for this reason. One may end up alone, and with old age, liviing alone becomes....frightening.
So SWEET of you Dawn.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Not really a twitcher myself, but it's all a part of a grand plan.
It's an ugly bird, really, but it serves a purpose and absolutely needs some help.
Good trip, though painful in several regards.
I am intrigued! Sounds like espionage with birds - 'The Spy who Doved Me' sort of thing!
Have you PM'ed me yet only nothing come through = you may not be able to start a conversation with me still.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am intrigued! Sounds like espionage with birds - 'The Spy who Doved Me' sort of thing!
Have you PM'ed me yet only nothing come through = you may not be able to start a conversation with me still.
Did I try before?
can't remember.
Haven't yet,I'll give it a try now, too busy talking nonsense as usual.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's so SWEET of you, Dawn.
Very sad, isn't it? Regret to have to say this: I do NOT envy those who reach the age of let's say 80, 90 for this reason. One may end up alone, and with old age, liviing alone becomes....frightening.
So SWEET of you Dawn.
Hi Gillian How are you and Oli.
Agree with you to some extent - it all depends on quality of life really, there are some really spritely and sharp 90+ people out there,
My last Aunt died this week and although I am sad because I was really fond of her, and she was the last link with my parents generation, it was a happy release for her - she would have been 97 next month.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Agree with you to some extent - it all depends on quality of life really, there are some really spritely and sharp 90+ people out there,
My last Aunt died this week and although I am sad because I was really fond of her, and she was the last link with my parents generation, it was a happy release for her - she would have been 97 next month.
Good age.
Sorry she's gone, but I Know what you mean.
It was time.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That is correct, the reality is that owls are pretty darn stupid, even for birds.
Oh, well, I still love them.
Beautiful plumage.
We have an owl sanctuary near us and the kids in school love going to visit, they have all sorts including hawks and vultures. They also have an old redfoot that was rescued but wasn't happy when I saw it being kept in a viv much too small for it and it had runny eyes. I couldn't help myself and recommended they look at this forum.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
We have an owl sanctuary near us and the kids in school love going to visit, they have all sorts including hawks and vultures. They also have an old redfoot that was rescued but wasn't happy when I saw it being kept in a viv much too small for it and it had runny eyes. I couldn't help myself and recommended they look at this forum.
Hurrah!
But the birds were well kept?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sad news. My best friend's 90 year old Dad is unlikely to make it through the weekend. I have known him for around 35 years and my friend is an only child ... she and he are up in Yorkshire and I am down south wishing I could be there to support.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hurrah!
But the birds were well kept?
Yes pretty much so - I don't like seeing birds penned in though. They recently had a break in - all the birds etc were OK but they had all their power tools stolen.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Lyn, haven't heard from you for quite a while. Still at work? Hope you and Lola are well. Oli 's fine after we went out for a two hour 'walk' this afternoon.

Oh yes, I've met people in their 80s and even 90s in relatively good health; but not here. This region is NEITHER Europe NOR the USA for that matter. As you put it: it depends on their life style. Sorry to hear about your aunt's death. Please accept my sincere condolences.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sad news. My best friend's 90 year old Dad is unlikely to make it through the weekend. I have known him for around 35 years and my friend is an only child ... she and he are up in Yorkshire and I am down south wishing I could be there to support.
It's hard isn't it? I am going to try to get up to Scotland when school finishes to see an old friend of mine who doesn't have long for this world, He has lived with a brain tumour for about 30 years but sadly deteriorated recently. he may not even recognise me anymore but as you say its to support his wife really.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Difficult times.
Even England can be too big a country sometimes.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes pretty much so - I don't like seeing birds penned in though. They recently had a break in - all the birds etc were OK but they had all their power tools stolen.
What were the birds doing with power tools?
It's probably good someone took them all away.
A Snowy owl with a circular saw doesn't bear thinking about.