Pretend Chat 2.14

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I've seen far too many cats 'sleeping' in the road :(
We live on a short, dead end road, and it doesn't have a speed limit. People come flying down here like total lunatics!
If an animal gets hit, we'll take a shovel and bury it. Fortunately, I've never seen a cat :( and I'm glad ms indoor/outdoor kitty stays far from the road, and is afraid of cars.
So, it was two years ago, really, and this big, beautiful snapping turtle got hit. Nothing terrible, but you can't survive a shell impact like that. So he got buried and everything, and the worst thing about it was that he was still smiling.
You can hardly see most of the graves now, they are VERY far into the woods, so weeds and grass grow over them :(

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
if that's what makes you feel better about the situation. I've saved many turtles who decided the road was a nice basking spot.
What kind of wild turtles do you see? Mostly I see sliders and snappers, but once or twice you'll see a little painted guy.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
We live on a short, dead end road, and it doesn't have a speed limit. People come flying down here like total lunatics!
If an animal gets hit, we'll take a shovel and bury it. Fortunately, I've never seen a cat :( and I'm glad ms indoor/outdoor kitty stays far from the road, and is afraid of cars.
So, it was two years ago, really, and this big, beautiful snapping turtle got hit. Nothing terrible, but you can't survive a shell impact like that. So he got buried and everything, and the worst thing about it was that he was still smiling.
You can hardly see most of the graves now, they are VERY far into the woods, so weeds and grass grow over them :(
Kind heart. If I found a hit turtle (thankfully that hasn't happened yet) I'd be sure to take it and either bury it or at least pull it off the road... or "take care of it" if I had to, breaks my heart to think about.
When my cat was still outdoor I was more worried about him being taken out by a car than an animal, but he used to look both ways before crossing the street, or cross in front of our bus when the lights were red to pick us up... brilliant cat lol

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
What kind of wild turtles do you see? Mostly I see sliders and snappers, but once or twice you'll see a little painted guy.
I'm not really great ID-ing turtles, I rescued a little snapper hatchling from my driveway and brought him to our lake, but the others I really have no idea, they were aquatic that's the best explanation I got lol.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I've seen skeletal remains with collars on before. As gross and bad as it sounds a dead animal exposed to the elements, including insects and scavengers, they are quickly cleaned down to the bone by nature.

Let's talk about sunshine! Lol
sunsine? What the heck is that!? I know snow, no sun, just snow.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Kind heart. If I found a hit turtle (thankfully that hasn't happened yet) I'd be sure to take it and either bury it or at least pull it off the road... or "take care of it" if I had to, breaks my heart to think about.
When my cat was still outdoor I was more worried about him being taken out by a car than an animal, but he used to look both ways before crossing the street, or cross in front of our bus when the lights were red to pick us up... brilliant cat lol
Hamilton-the-hipster-cat.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
GOOD MORNING, TORTOISE FORUM CHATTERS!!!

I hope this lovely morning finds you all in good spirits..rarin' to go and take a bite outta' the day ahead???
I'm more of an evening person, that's when I have all the best ideas :D How are you today??