Can a Juvenile Yellow foot look identical to a Northern Red foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
I came across a pair of adult Yellow foots (I had no trouble identifying them at all even though I am very new to torts), and I was told that they were breeding and that they had a number of babies and that one was there. I then saw the baby and it had a very light yellow head, orange to more reddish leg scales (IMO it was the exact same color as the scales that I have seen on northern RF's, I have only seen 7 in person). The carapace was very dark and had defined patterns in the scutes (once again just like a RF). The person told me that she had no other torts, am I crazy in thinking that a runaway female Northern RF came into her yard and laid eggs? Or is my inexperience shining through? The 2 year old or so baby looked NOTHING like these http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=50&de=643087 or http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=50&de=679515

The head was lighter yellow and the leg scales weren't quite as red as this specimen http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=50&de=692726

So am I crazy or what? ;)

lezsolt

5 Year Member
A picture of its head (its nose scales especially) would help a lot in identifying.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can't really go by the color. The head is what tells them apart.

Yvonne

Bryan

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
You can't really go by the color. The head is what tells them apart.

Yvonne

Wow, so it could be a yellow foot then? Could either of you post a photo and describe the nose scales so that I can identify it in the field? I would like to take photos of it but it was going to be taken home away from the place where I was at yesterday. I'll try and go back sometime this week and take photos. If it is a yellow foot and they are indeed breeding, I'll see if she's willing to sell the pair.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:

Thanks Yvonne, since I'm a newbie, could you walk me through this? I was trying to find a detailed description of prefrontal and frontal scales but didn't have much luck.

I assume that the prefrontal scales are the 2 long oval shaped scales on the YF and the first horizontal scales on the RF? Is the frontal scale on the YF where the rest of the color on his head is after the 2 ovals? And the 3rd horizontal color band on the RF? Thanks, Bryan

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Well, I finally got some pics of the juvenile. I also numbered its scales, I am new to torts obviously, so please explain to me what it is and why in relation to its scales. Thanks!

Attachments

• yellow foots.jpg
    yellow foots.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 69
  • yellow foots outlined cropped.jpg
    yellow foots outlined cropped.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 63
  • yellow foots side view.jpg
    yellow foots side view.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 60
  • yellow foot carapace.jpg
    yellow foot carapace.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 52

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree :D definately a Redfoot. If they have a pair of Yellowfoots, than they are pulling your leg about breeding them.

Danny

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
This is one of my REDFOOT hatchlings.. note config. of NOSE scales.. they do not reach end of nose [ Stew - CA ]
Stew-CA.jpgYELLOWfoot.jpg

See the difference of NOSE scales on YELLOWfoot.. color has nothing to do with anything. [ not to "ride" your post ] Look at the different colors of redfoots in the 'redfootbreeder.com' link below.

Now you can see how obvious.

Hope this helps...

NERD

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryan

10 Year Member!
lezsolt said:
This is definitely a redfoot.

egyptiandan said:
I agree :D definately a Redfoot. If they have a pair of Yellowfoots, than they are pulling your leg about breeding them.

Danny

She said that she found the eggs in her yard, and I told her that maybe a RF was coming into their yard to lay eggs because I thought that it was a RF for sure when I first saw it. Of course I am not blessed with years of experience like many of you are so I decided to go to a place where experience and knowledge are abundant! :D

Redfoot NERD said:
This is one of my REDFOOT hatchlings.. note config. of NOSE scales.. they do not reach end of nose [ Stew - CA ]

See the difference of NOSE scales on YELLOWfoot.. color has nothing to do with anything. [ not to "ride" your post ] Look at the different colors of redfoots in the 'redfootbreeder.com' link below.

Now you can see how obvious.

Hope this helps...

NERD

That was great Terry, I didn't feel like you were "riding" the post, getting knowledge from an experienced RF keeper and breeder like yourself is always welcome to a newbie like myself. Your post and pics were very helpful to say the least!

So since I don't think that the girl is lying to me, I guess there's a RF around there somewhere nesting by their place? Does the female stay on the nest? Or just lay the eggs and leave?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Females just lay eggs and leave. :D Only the Asian brown and black tortoises do any nest guarding and thats for about 2 weeks. :)

Danny

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I more than agree with Danny.. Bryan. Be slow to believe what you have been told .. something isn't adding up!

If you looked thru my Redfoot Breeder site you saw that there can be a variety of colors...... Yellowfoot torts all look the same. Something isn't adding up.

FWIW..

Terry K

Bryan

10 Year Member!
egyptiandan said:
Females just lay eggs and leave. :D Only the Asian brown and black tortoises do any nest guarding and thats for about 2 weeks. :)

Danny

So then what can I do to get some cherry head females to come over for a visit at my place and lay some eggs? :D

Redfoot NERD said:
I more than agree with Danny.. Bryan. Be slow to believe what you have been told .. something isn't adding up!

If you looked thru my Redfoot Breeder site you saw that there can be a variety of colors...... Yellowfoot torts all look the same. Something isn't adding up.

FWIW..

Terry K

As odd as the potential of another species of tort laying eggs in their yard where the YF's used to be, I don't see why she'd be lying to me as she never asked me if I wanted to buy the pair just the baby (I wasn't too interested as I'd like to get more colorful RF's) she even told me that she'd sell it to me for cheap, but since I wasn't interested I didn't even ask a price. I considered making an offer for the YF pair, but also decided against it. And now it doesn't appear as if they even breed. She said that she has 6 other young torts at her home, maybe she has some RF's and YF's there? I must say that I am rather curious as to how I could get some random torts to come to my place and lay eggs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.